Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI as one with a new engine I will post when dun keep up the good work

I found an old bit of timber for the Base that may be OK after a few coats of varnish
Its nice and heavy too so it should not jump around too much.
Pete
SANY0204.jpg

Pete,

The engine really is looking very good.

I see you have made your new pipes, did that little bender do the job, or did you have to use something a bit more robust?

Your on the downwards slope now, so don't go doing anything silly.

John

Hi John
I did have to modify the "Torus" bender a little as the Stainless pipe was very hard to bend,
All I ended up doing was welding on a threaded adjuster to stop the roller sliding back and Im thinking of one day adding ball bearings to the rollers but I doubt that will make much difference on the oil pipes I need to bend next.
I have not hard soldered up the rear pipe yet but guess I will soon, I have tried so many different rear pipes its not funny and I like most of em, It really is a pity I can only use one.
Pete
PS
IT may still end up a paperweight Mate, there is still a lot to do, but with just a little luck it will be OK.
SANY0199.jpg

You can do it Pete!.....1 bite at a time...think about what your doing!

Dave

Hi Dave
I want to try and get some form of engine mounting brackets done this weekend before this thing is knocked over and my new plugs broken.
Looking at this photo I recon I will replace the inner nuts on the plugs with a brass washer, that will look heaps better 8)
Pete
SANY0200.jpg

Looking real good Pete

ther'll be a blue tint on them pipes real soon - we're waiting stickpoke

Bez

P.S. I hope you've got Bogs permission to supplement your photos with his mugshot :hDe:

Hi Bez
I reckon she would be easier to start if I had some pistons :big:
Pete

Hey Guys,

What's the plan for the oil pump gears? 10teeth is below the #8 cutter range for 20 and 14 1/2 pressure angles.

I suppose we could substitute 12 tooth, and make the gears a smidge narrower?

At 32 DP, the gears have a 5/16" diameter pitch circle.

The OD would be (10 + 2) /32 = 12/32 = 0.375"

With 12 teeth, we get a 12/32 or 0.375" Pitch diameter and a 14/32 or 0.4375" OD

It looks like you can get those two gears into the same 7/8" diameter body, but we would need to move the cover plate holes out a bit to clear.

As the gear now has 12/10 or 1.2 times the volume with the larger gear, we would have to make it narrower to reduce the total flow rate back to design by 10/12 or 0.833 x .25 = 0.208" wide.

Does this make sense or am I all wet?...or do you guys have a way to make 10 tooths that your holding out on me on? ;D

Dave

NOPE...I take that back...you will need to make the housing bigger to get the bigger gears in...

Dave

Hi Dave
I don't know that making the pump housing bigger is such a good idea mate, Remember u will need clearance for the points housing that rotates on the center flange.
I have already drilled my housing anyway.
All it needs is the back to be machined to suit the hole in the gear hub.
I'm considering a disk shaped points holder with a simple pressed in handle but I will have to buy the points first, I think I would prefer using an off the shelf set of points for easy replacement.
Pete

Dave,
You can get pinion wire in 10T 32 DP from SDP-SI. $19 to $25 for a foot depending on flavor.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=438

As I recall there is also a European version of the same store.

A foot would make a whole bunch of gears so you could share.

Gail In NM

YUP.....Was just going to report back the same information Gail.... :Doh:

Thanks....

Dave

That is so cheap
The price for a 300 mm bar is $55 bucks here
but for a single brass spur gear ready to use is $13.95
looking at the specks both width and hole size are correct
so I guess the easy path would be to buy em ready made.
I hit copy on my short cut to the listing but im not showing a paste option now ???
god I hate computers :big:
Pete

To be honest, as long as the materials are correct, you can't make a gear that cheap!.....the cutters are too expensive!.....though I suppose I could make a "hob" and cut all of them with it.....

Would be cheaper to just get the bar.......... :big:

Dave

I'll buy the pump gears, but I'll make the rest of the gears ....with my son...as a teaching excercise....that's my story and I'm stickin to it! :big:

Pete, are you going to put a water pump on yours?

Dave

The Wallaby articles do not include a water pump and to be honest, i haven't even thought about it much. If it gets too hot I guess a waterpump and radiator are called for. I was just planing on a large water drum but we will see I guess.
I have been able to get part of the Sealion article off the internet and it does include the waterpump, but I'm not sure how id run it, Maybe a remote pump driven of the power take off on the end of the cam or somethink?
I have seen it driven by a belt from the flywheel but if you want to include a clutch then that's out, so I guess an electric pump has to be at least consided, maybe hidden in the base etc.
Pete

I was thinking of the back end of the camshaft. It's mentioned in passing in articles.

Probably a gear one.

Dave

Latest posts

Back