Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys
After my last post John bogstandard sent me a very nice email with a set of plans for a easy to make pipe bender.
Here it is, "the Torus pipe bending tool"
So far I have only made former rollers for 3/8 but will have to make a set of 1/8 formers for the oil pipes down the track.
In this pic I'm just doing a practice exhaust pipe with some of the thick wall tubing I had left over. With this bender its easy to do 180 degree or more bends without deforming the pipe but I may remake the "fence" or guide as the thin wall angle I made it out of does not really seem strong enough for the stainless steel 3/8 pipe I'm using for the system. As yet I have not tried the stainless but the thick wall tube works very well.
Pete
PS
Thanks for the trick cast handle Bez
and of course John for sending me the Plans just when I needed them ;D
SANY0171.jpg

Hi guys
I went to see Bez this Morning for a cuppa and had a very enjoyable chat about the Wallaby as he had not seen his castings since I got hold of them.
After getting such a nice set of con rod castings I thought it was only fair to take a few tentative cuts. At the moment I'm a little unsure of how i will go about the work holding etc but for now Ive set up on parallels in a huge old 4 jaw that came with the lathe, the Chuck is in very poor condition and has a large thread on the back rather then the DI-4 of the lathe.
As I don't have a R/T yet It will have to serve.
Pete
SANY0172.jpg

Hi Pete

It looks like that 4 jaw milling Vice is just the ticket :big:

Bez

Hi Bez
Its hard to believe but I actually thought about throwing it out two years ago.
I would not use it for turning but it really does make a nice Vice for the Mill :big:
Pete

Hi Pete

So apart from the conrods, what other parts are left to do? Can't wait to see the Wallaby running.

Vince

Hi Vince
Bez is going to cast up some pistons for me soon and besides that I have lots still to do on the oil pump and oil plumbing ( all the fittings will need to be made ) I had another idea for the back exhaust pipe the other day and so I'm even more undecided then before about that ???
At the moment I'm considering a rear pipe that comes out in a fat bottom S patten on the other side of the head from the other one with both having the same length.
I also have a lot of Carby work to do, I guess I'm avoiding the Carby a bit as there is a fuel metering rod/Spraybar that goes right through the rotating throttle made out of brass hex.
My Lathe was not a runner when I got it and still has issues, for instance the 3 jaw is wildly inaccurate and I hate it when the hex ends up all over the place. I also still need to buy the drill bits needed for the spraybar.
I still need to make a valve facing tool to suit, I could go on and on :big:
It seems I really have very few parts completely finished. :big:
I don't think ill even mention the Clutch :eek:
Pete

Pete

Sorry, but I thought you were on the home run. Guess I'll have to wait.

Vince

Hi VInce
No probs mate
I have a tendance to put off things that scare me, which of course does work for a while, but sooner or later everything is scary :big: :big:
Pete

Hi Guys
Have not been feeling too great the last week or so but got into the shed this weekend and got a little done on the Conrods.
Maybe tomorrow ill drill and ream them.
Pete

SANY0173.jpg

SANY0175.jpg

SANY0178.jpg

I thought you'd gone a bit quiet! Still, the rods are shaping up well, and any progress is a good thing!

Hi Tel
Its been raining non stop here and my Arthritus just loves it :big:
Pete

Yeah, I heard you were getting a bit of weather up that way, and beyond.

Thanks Dave
Im getting to the point when im not good for much any more and it kind of gets me down a bit. But with any luck there are a few more engines in this old Dog yet ;D
The trick ZA27 Conrod castings I got of Bez machine a bit like glue but should not need bearings as im told that stuff is 5 times better then Bonze for bearings.
With that in mind im gunna just drill and ream the big and little ends
Should make a nice engine :)
Pete

"....Im getting to the point when im not good for much any more and it kind of gets me down a bit. But with any luck there are a few more engines in this old Dog yet ..."

Boulderdash and poppycock....to say nothing of th_bs....always wanted to use that one.....

Don't let it get you down mate. Do what you can till you feel better....

We'll be here regardless...We'll help anyway we can.

Dave

Hi Pete, I'm still here with you and enjoying your progress. Dave

Hi Guys
I'm feeling much better today and put in a few hours on the Rods.
I drilled and reamed them to a nice firm fit on the Crank, while a lot more work on the rods is still needed I could not resist a trial fit up and sure enough the Caps hit the Block in 4 places so Tomorrow Ill relieve the Block a tad.
I have not checked for balance as yet as the Rods still remain unfinished and I gotta say rods from Castings are much harder then from a flat bit of bar where you can just drill the holes and then cut away the bits that dont look like a Con rod.
Pete

SANY0179.jpg

SANY0181.jpg

:) Yes mate, the use of castings introduces a whole new set of problems for the lesser parts, not least of which is effective work holding.

tel said:
:) Yes mate, the use of castings introduces a whole new set of problems for the lesser parts, not least of which is effective work holding.

The good thing is if you cast your own, you can add spigots to the cast to facilitate work holding.

Best Regards
Bob

Very true Bob, but for some reason a lot of commercial casting producers don't seem to think of things like that.

Latest posts

Back