Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have that cutter Pete. Let me know...I haven't given my little mill a workout in a while
Dave

Thanks Dave, I really do appreciate the offer, but would rather buy the pump gears than risk stepping on Tels toes :big:
He made the timing gears for the "Sows ear" and they are still going strong ;D
I got a little bit more done on the pump today, milling off the chucking piece on the main housing and boring both inner and outer end caps using a 1/8 two flute end mill.
After that I drilled the holes for the 8 BA screws.
SANY0140.jpg

SANY0143.jpg

SANY0144.jpg

SANY0145.jpg

I put the Carby up in the 4 jaw and got a little bit carried away :big:
might be a little too artsy fartsy for the rest of the Wallaby.
But then again once the air cleaner, throttle and mixture needle/jet Assembly are all on, it may look OK.
Pete
SANY0146.jpg

Yep, already figured that the pump was driven from somewhere off the other cluster - no worries with the timing gears and big pump gear - they can all be 40dp and come out with the same dimensions (other than tooth size) as the called for 32's.

So, just to clarify, you need 2 x 50t & 2 x25t? I'm all over it like Oprah on a baked ham!

Well I better get my arse into "gear" then I recon :big:
Pete

Pete, no worries mate...and I wouldn't want to step on Tel's toes either....might find a drop bear on my porch or something.... ;D

Dave

Pete,

I don't think you need to worry about the carb too much. These early Westbury types of engine would run on a bit of pipe stuck in the side and a drip feed into the end of it.

They are very forgiving engines indeed, not like the higher compression ratio engines of later. My side valve, which I still have, will start quite merrily on almost any setting you want to give it, then it it a very easy matter to tune it for optimum running.

John

Pete, no worries mate...and I wouldn't want to step on Tel's toes either....might find a drop bear on my porch or something.... Grin

A transgression like that would get a full wombat - never mind the drop b'ar.

These look something like 'em Pete? I've left the pinions on the stick - make it a bit easier for final machining - the stick is drilled and reamed to 5/16" for a depth of about 1 1/4 so you should be able to hack 'em off alright.

w gears#1.jpg

w gears#2.jpg

w gears#3.jpg

A transgression like that would get a full wombat - never mind the drop b'ar.

Sir! Yes Sir!

Hi Bogs
I'm really hoping for a nice runner and the way things are going I guess it wont be that long before we find out :big:
My next Engine "The Mastiff" is a side valve so that will be interesting!
Hi Tel
Those gears are fantastic Mate :bow:
I'm having problems getting the silly grin of my face ;D
This Build just took a huge step forward and by the look of those pinions, a bulletproof one :big:
Knowing Tel was on the job with the gears, I got stuck in myself and machined up the chucking piece of the Carby into an adaptor to suit the intake.
I then made up a plug for the threw hole and locktighted it in.
After that I started in on the intake manifold, using a center drill to make a radius on the end to suit the curved ports.
I may not have left enough thread for a locking ring, but I'm wondering now if I really need it as the manifold locks up to a ledge on the inside.
Dave it really is not wise to underestimate the Australian Wombat!! :big:
Pete
SANY0147.jpg

The 50t's are CI, the pinions steel - shouldn't wear out in a hurry.

Did a little bit more on the intake manifold today and did a trial fit up but I will probably modify it once the engine is running.
The oil pump in the pic is just sitting there for show at the moment :)
Pete
SANY0154.jpg

Thanks Brock
It still has lots to go but I think as I start to hang bits on it it should really start to take shape from now on.
after playing with the manifold I did a bit more work on the rockers, drilling the pushrod holes and using my 1/8 burr to round it off.
The rockers only need the oil holes and a little wet and dry rub down and they are done.
Pete
SANY0156.jpg

Pete

It's looking good. Can't wait to see it running.

Just out of curiosity, did you give the the holes for the pushrods in the rocker arms a slight taper or did you leave them straight?

Vince

Hi Vince
I hope I did not miss something here, My understanding of the text was a simple drill hole with a 1/8 drill to a depth of 1/8 and then using the 1/8 round burr to finish to a nice round shape.
The hole is just round!
What did you end up doing?
Pete
PS
I just reread the relevent section and no mention is made for the wallaby of drilling at an angle and the diagram shows a straight line.
The Kiwi may well be another matter.

Pete

No worries.

I was assuming that the Wallaby rockers and Kiwi rockers were similar. At least they look similar. Although in the Kiwi documentation there is no mention of a taper, in the diagrams there is a taper shown. Most probably because the pushrods come in at a slight angle. I did not do a taper but made the hole slighty wider.

From what I can see in the Wallaby, the pushrods come in straight, so most probably a taper is not required.

Vince

p.s. I just reread the Kiwi documentation and at one time it mentions giving the hole a slight taper, but as I said it must be due to the pushrods in the Kiwi coming in at an angle.

Hi Pete

That's looking real Sweet

I think we are all keen to hear her runn'n

Bez

Hi Guys
Im working onit :big:
SANY0157.jpg

Latest posts

Back