Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I "found" some bar stock for my oil pump, I'm too embarrassed to say CAST, but hell, this morning all I had was a drum of small offcuts :big:
Pete
SANY0130.jpg

Hi guys
Today I blanked out the oil pump housing and covers, leaving a chucking piece on the main housing.
I should have enougth Bar stock for the dip stick too I recon ;D
Pete
SANY0131.jpg

Thats awesome Pete! Wish I had the facilities to cast.....

Dave

Nice bit of brass casting Pete

It's real easy to burn off the zinc when your learning (not enough borax / flux or too hot - the latter being less likely in your open top furnace )

Dave
steamer said:
That's awesome Pete! Wish I had the facilities to cast.....
In a workshop like yours Dave, I reckon you probably have the facilities already - You Just haven't assembled them in the right order yet, stickpoke

Cheers

Bez

No casting equipment I'm afraid....nor can I weld....I've never even tried it.

I can braze to beat the band though!

Dave

PS
I've been putting my shop together over the last 24 years.......some things have come...some have gone....but it takes time.
It doesn't happen over night....I hope my shop doesn't discourage someone who's just starting out. Also don't think you "NEED THIS" or "NEED THAT!" to get on with an engine or pretty much anything. A lathe of some sort is a HUGE start.
The basic hand tools and motivation and your on your way.

Dave

Hi guys
maybe I got lucky with the brass as i ended up with two nice brass bars with no holes etc
I just cranked the gas up to 20 psi and did something else for an hour :big:
didnt even know enougth to use flux LOL.
The brass seemed to flow better then the alli from when i cast the lathe dial, the alli dial also ended up with very tiny air holes.
One thing for sure the hunt is on for brass scrap!
as I have lots of alli ;D
Pete
PS
I wonder how the old girl would look with brass handles :big:
SANY0035.jpg

SANY0062.jpg

Hi guys
I got Heaps done today, using a 1/8 rotary burr in my hand die grinder, I did the curved ports, combustion chamber and "mottled" the head etc, even the water ports.
I may sand blast the whole thing later, but I'm pretty happy with the way its going.
After that I did some more work on the oil pump main housing.
ETW siver soldered the pipe fittings on the turned pump but im going to give it a go, doing it in the Mill in one piece.
I was going to wait until I have the gears but with the state of my finances at the moment, I don't want to even think about gears.
If I stuff up the pump I can remake it, I need the practice :big:
Pete
SANY0133.jpg

SANY0135.jpg

what gears do you need Pete? I'm setting up for a run shortly.

Buddy you got a Deal :big:
let me have a look
Sent you a email, Thanks Mate ;D
Pete

Drilled the bolt and oil holes today, I just need to drill and tap 3/16-40 for the oil fittings and I can put in back in the lathe to part off.
Before I go any further, I think ill check what is the smallest pipe fitting I can get here, Ive never heard of 3/16-40 before,
Pete
SANY0139.jpg

3/16 x 40 is an ME thread - no trouble to do those if you let me know what.

Nice Job Pete! Are those gears 48 pitch?......I think?

Dave

Hi Tel
I'm going to need both the oil pump gears and timing gears Buddy and if you are set up for 32 DP then it would be a huge boost to the build for which I'm very grateful.
I'm not worried about special pump tooth forms mate, as I don't think at this scale high efficiency pumping is needed. The pump pinions have a 1/8 interference hole and ill make the shaft's once i have the pinions.
I have not drilled the block for the idler yet and don't think it matters much what you make the gears from.
The plan calls for two 40 tooth, two 20's and two 10s for the oil pump, some of the gears have flanges and the Cam gear needs to either have room for me to put a 10 degree inclusive taper or a bush with a taper.
The plans also show 1/4 holes in the gear bodies, put em in if you feel like it or not,
but I doubt i will bother :) I'm not making a race car here :big:
Anyway thanks again Mate.
Gears are on my "to do list" but there is always the next engine and I'm broke :big:
Pete
PS
Mate if its any easier just cut a couple of inchs of 40 tooth, 20 tooth and 10 and I can machine em to suit.

The timing gears are no problem matey, i fact I have the 50t 40dp (in place of the 40t 32dp) blank cut and ready to machine, still looking for some material for the two pinions. As I said in the email, I'm not set up for 32dp - but the 40's will come out to the same dimensions and work just fine there.

I've been looking over the pump gears, and I'm not real sure I have anything to cut the pinions with. 13t 40dp would work, but I'm not sure if I have a no 8 cutter. I'll get one if I have to, but that will mean a delay.

Tel
Please don't Go buying cutters on my account,
The two oil pump pinions I can buy.
Once the Timing gears are done, I recon she will be running in a month :big:
OK I just found your email buried under Chrissy sales etc
Thank you again, Tel but do not put yourself out on my account. In a couple of weeks, work will start to trickle back in and we will have the Wallaby hopping :big:
Pete.

OK, I've had a look and no no.8. I do, however, have a number seven, which means I can cut a 14t - they would have an OD of 0.400" so you might need to open out the cavities in the pump body to suit 'em. Let me know.

Well, as I said earlier, I need to cut a few gears on my own account sometime in the next few days, so a few extra is no big drama.

I know you enjoy cutting gears or I would have said no, but for me its a big thing and really helps.
I just went out to the shed and had a look at the main pump housing and dont think there is a lot of room there to change the pinions.
I think I can buy the pump pinions for something like 16 bucks a pop so its doable, but the timing gear diameter will have to be the standard size as the top pinion shaft is driven off the lower gear and ive already bored the timing case.
Thanks Mate

Latest posts

Back