Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave
That's high praise coming from you :)
But my desire to make an Engine is no substitute for your lifetime as a toolmaker and that is plain to see in your latest build.
The bottle tops are "Calton Mid" and ill save some for you and put em in the post for you if you want some.
Today I put the Cyl liners in the freezer and sat the block on a toolbox in the sun for a couple of hours and then covered them with locktight and pressed them in.
I used the locktight as a sealer only as those liners are not coming out for the life of the Engine.
Pete
SANY0119.jpg

SANY0120.jpg

Hi Pete

In the photo it looks like crankshaft boss on the timing cover is way off line
Does the pattern need adjusting or maybe a larger diameter boss?
Just a tad more machining allowance maybe?

Hi Bez
yep i recon it needs to move over a bit as the oil pump hole and crank line up and if u put the pump hole in the middle then the boss is way over to the right. :)
Pete

Hi Pete, no need to send any caps, I'll look for them locally. Its not like I need any more projects but I'm always thinking(hoarding). Thanks, Dave

U sure Dave??
They can be usefull in many ways, Workholding for instance and for when the day is done, they have Chess pieces printed on the inside.
Of course emptying the bottle is not too bad either :big:
In this pic I'm using them to help visualise a Starter motor/Dummy gen set.
unfortunately the shaft for the one way bearing will have to be remade as I tapped it by hand and it is showing a wobble when rotated.
I think ill just put the tap in the tailstock.
Pete
PS
this set up is dependent on it having the power to turn the Engine at Cranking speed.

SANY0121.jpg

metalmad said:
Hi Bez
yep i recon it needs to move over a bit as the oil pump hole and crank line up and if u put the pump hole in the middle then the boss is way over to the right. :)
Pete

OOPS! scratch.gif Sorry 'bout that Pete

Don't know what I was measuring when I mounted the Boss - but it definitely wasn't the vertical centre line. :wall: Its more than 3/16" out - and that's too slack - Evan for a woodworker ;D

Can I replace the cover? or have you got too much time invested in it? your choice

Bez

Hi Bez
No biggie Mate, The High quality of the Casting is such that I'm reluctant to let go of it.
but the boss is way undersize now and might not be strong enough for the points holder.
I'm thinking of boring the hole oversize and pressing in a flash brass bush.
Why don't you cast up a "mark two" casting for your engine and if I stuff this one up, I can steal yours :big:
Pete

Hi Guys
Got a fair bit done today, made and installed the lifters, found a bit of 5/8 stainless an bored it out to suit the Crank boss on the frount timing cover and locktighted it on and last but not least, I drilled the water jackets on the top deck.
Pete
SANY0122.jpg

Hi Guys
Merry Christmas everybody ;D
I got a couple of things done today I have been worried about, The main bearing oilier holes and the dip stick hole.
ETW gives two options with the mains oiling and I haven't decided what I will end up with yet, but will have a good look at the block in the next few days to see if I have the meat to drill a connecting hole in order to use only one oil pipe.
The other option is for three oil inlets.
I also got the sump plug done, the water inlet and engine mounts drilled.
Pete
SANY0126.jpg

SANY0125.jpg

Coming along a treat Pete! Merry Christmas!

Thanks Tel and Arnold
Its really getting to look like something now.
After the stress of christmas i needed a bit of shed time so i thought id avago at machining some plastic like stuff i got for the handles on the lathe.
I found it impossable with inserts and almost as bad with tool steel :big:
In the pic, im just starting to part off the distributor rotor.

SANY0127.jpg

SANY0128.jpg

Hi Pete, (You're not the only one to have escaped ;))

I'm following your build and it's looking real good.

Re the plastic ...
I don't want to teach granny but it looks as if you are cutting Nylatron - not the easiest of materials to get a finish on but it may improve things greatly if the tool is razor sharp and with high rake angles. Coolant helps too if you are able to use it on your lathe (no facility on mine). Wet and dry paper will take the fuzz off the egdes too specially if done under running water - hope that helps a little

Keep on with the good work though

Regards - Ramon

I use acetal at times, I use inserts at the quickest speed I can go, Always looks bad until you cut the streamers off that get folded over. Engine looks great.

Brock

Thats looking great Pete! Following along....that'll be running in no time.

When to you get to the pumps?

Dave

Hi Ramon
Thanks for the drop in, looks like you have been busy too buddy, love your work !!
I put the rotor cap back in the 3 jaw to face off the parting face this morning and experimented with the coolent a little.
Its funny but it had not crossed my mind to try coolent with plastic :big:
Hi Brock
I don't know what this stuff is mate,
but it takes a fair bit of work to get a nice part made out of it :big:
I spun up the old girl to 1800 this morning with the coolent running and besides a unexpected shower got inconclusive results.
I ended up with a nice rotor, but still need to dial my technique in a bit.
Hi Dave
I'm afraid that any thing that's going to cost me more than a cup of coffee will have to wait for a while, I think the pump housing will look nice in brass, but don't have the stock .
I may try casting a brass bar from bits of scrap this arvo if I have enough gas, but have no idea if my foundry will do it or not.
Pete

I couldn't get brass to melt with my gas burner so I made a oil burner. Mine is the most basic thing you could imagine and makes enough heat to make it unbearable after opening. Go the oil burner. I can send you some pics of mine if you like.

Brock

Hi Brock
Pics are always good ;D
I have a oil burner i have not tried out yet but the gas is so convenent, ill give it a go with the gas for the hell of it :big:
I really want to be able to turn unusable brass offcuts and swarf back into bar stock.

I will post some pics of my rough as guts burner tomorrow. I think the best thing about this burner is it is very uncomplicated.

Brock

Latest posts

Back