Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rick and Joe. The latest issue on the restoration is that after getting it back together I have no spark. The magneto WAS working last weekend and despite handling it very carefully, and wiring things back correctly...nothing. I have checkekd continuity of the new wire, the plug, the points, etc. all to no avail.

Rick I like the skid you did for the 5S...that is similar to what I was thinking. I'm not planning on auctioning it off, just more for display purposes.

Thanks for checking in...I'll be getting back to the model shortly but want to get this spark issue resolved if possible.

Bill

Short update today...the seals arrived yesterday and look just as i expected. Other than that have been trying to finalize the drawings for both the crankcase and crankshaft before making chips and scrapping some larger chunks of metal. Work, this blasted heat wave, and fiddling with the full size 6S have slowed me down temporarily.

Seal.jpg

Shutting it down is the fun part. Pushing that grounded metal tab against the top
of the spark plug works fine if you don't flinch. If you don't make positive contact
it will light up your life! Cheesy

;D ;D Which is the reason I always stomp on 'em with my (rubber soled) boot!

Nice progress Bill, I'm looking forward to your treatment of the crankcase!

Bill

I just read this entire thread. Thank you for letting me ride along with you on this project. Your craftsmanship is outstanding. I am learning a great deal watching you attack each new challenge.

Keep up the good work

Eric

rake60 said:
Hummm.
Those old magnetos can throw lightning!
Rick

As part of my education, I was introduced to the underworld of crab pot raiding. Naturally this is done under cover of darkness and preferably on a wild and woolly night.

On one such night, soaked to the skin with nary a crab in the boat, we returned to the creek and small jetty.

The boat had an old single banger belt start Blaxland Pup and was direct drive to the prop with no reverse. My partner in crime judged the moment to perfection.............."Right Bob shut her down." I thrust my hand into the half cabin and my oilskin attached itself to the sparkplug on top of the engine. The carburettor was on the front of the cylinder. Everytime she fired, so did I......Never got near the carby. We proceeded under the jetty at a steady 8 knots and the tide was just right to remove the half cabin from our trusty craft slightly before we hit the creek bank. The sudden stop freed me and my oilskin as I went forward almost as fast as the cabin went backward.

I can attest with a great deal of feeling just how much punch a magneto has.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Tel and Eric. Funny story Bob...whatever the circumstances, I think all of us remember that first encounter with a magneto's punch and it's usually vivid enough to keep us from doing it again.

By the way, I did get the spark back on the old 6S, now trying to clear up a few paint issues and it'll be ready to start again so I can work on the carb adjustments some.

Bill

Heading out this afternoon on a vacation cruise from Venice, Italy to Barcelona, Spain with stops in Croatia, Greece, Albania, western Italy (Rome and Florence) and Marseille, France. I will miss my daily visits to HMEM, but hope to return relaxed and ready to press on with the little 6S project.

Bill

Bill,congratulation on your vacation, very envious of you, have a grand time. Ihave really enjoyed your build, thanks for taking the time, to put it on the screen, larry

Thanks Larry,

Even though there won't be any progress for the next 2 weeks, I didn't want anyone thinking it was due to lack of interest. This trip has been in the works since last summer...all together 14 family members will be going so it should be fun.

Thanks to you and all that have followed along. As the governor of California said (easier than typing his last name)in on of his movies (Terminator maybe?)...

"I'll be back !!"

Bill

Have fun Bill. Sounds like a fantastic trip.
Take pictures. ;D
And I already wish I were there.

Well after almost getting back to normal from the +6 hour time difference while on vacation, this past Sat thru Tues i had a business trip to Portland OR (-3 hours) so things have been a little slow getting cranked back up. This weekend should see a start on the crankshaft and crankcase, assuming the heat lets up a bit. In the meantime, I did get a few gaskets made. There should only be a few more small ones to make, one for the valve breather cover, one for the air filter, and one for the gas tank/carb interface. Its good to be back home and hopefully progress will be back on track shortly.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Bill,
Glad you're back.
Dennis

Welcome back, Bill.
Nice work on the gaskets. They look like factory parts!

Dean

Well I have been back but gaining some traction as far as progress has been slow it seems with classes starting back this past monday. Anyway, before I fall totally off the cliff here is some "token" progress on the crankcase. OK...so its only getting it down to the overall size thus far...terribly exciting I know. Though not that large it still requires a full size mill so am having to work on it intermittently at work. On the Sherline front at home, I will be starting the various parts for the carbureator shortly. Due to its odd and very irregular shape its going to have to be build up from various pieces to make it look original but still very doable on the small mill and lathe.

With the busy summer almost behind things should begin to settle down some...not to mention the grass not growing as fast and the cooler weather which allows more enjoyable shop time.

Block 001.jpg

Block 002.jpg

and the cooler weather which allows more enjoyable shop time

Amen, brother! I get a lot more done in the cold or cool months. Summer heat is
hard on a fat man, (like me).
Glad you got to make some chips. Thanks for the update!

Dean

Made lots and lots of chips Dean..I dug out the 6 inch swath fly cutter I used to use to rough out mold bases and it saves time but throws chips about 10 feet away.in several directions. I'll have to sweep and vacuum those up in the morning before labs begin.

Bill

Have gotten a bit more done on the crankcase when work allows. The flywheel side was bored and drilled to accept the cover plate and then tapped for the 5-40 hex cap screws as shown in photos 1 & 2 below. Photo 3 shows the crankcase block with the plate attached and sitting on the base/oil pan. As can be seen there is a lot more whittling to be done yet to find a crankcase in that aluminum block. Photo 4 shows a closer view of the plate mounting with the points/condenser cover removed. Not a lot but still some progress.

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

Looking really good Bill!

Some serious whittling indeed, Looking forward to seeing it.

The last two photos show the plate with the cover re-installed, and I couldn't help but place the cylinder head on top just to imagine how it might look. As noted previously this is having to be done on the large mill at work. A lot of time at home has been spent finishing the drawings for the carburator. Already there are some 16-17 separate pieces that will (I hope) fit together to look much like the original with 3-4 more components yet to draw. More on that though over the weekend.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

Back