Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not full time, but I have brought in enough over the last 7 years to almost pay for all my equipment. So long as it happens only a couple of times a year or so it works out great. I hope to retire in 5 years and it would be nice to bring in some extra cash from the shop.

3 inch should work...thanks!

Hello All!

Well, I have designed a new fixture for the rockers. I have written the new Gcode for the fixture and the rockers. The way I would like to proceed is to use the CNC machine to cut the fixture out. This way the X and Y axis will already have reference and save alot of setup and everything will have a high probability of coming out real nice. The problem with all that is the amount of time it will take to do all that. I was hoping to do it on a weekend so I will have all day and wont be out in the garage late.

Not having a day off last weekend and this past weekend, I have gotten tired of doing nothing, waiting for rocker arm day so i decided to make some lifters. I didn't take many pictures because they are a very simple part. I managed to make a full set of 16 today so i am half done. After this photo was taken, I turned the part around and faced off the little nub and polished the bottom real good. It will be rubbing on the cam so we don't want any sharp edges.

DSCN0832s.jpg

Sounds like work has been cramping your style Steve....I hope you have some time off over the Thanksgiving holidays...

We will be in Farmington Hills all day tomorrow hanging out at my oldests daughters. Then I have the next 3 days to get some shop time in..:)

deere_x475guy said:
Sounds like work has been cramping your style Steve....I hope you have some time off over the Thanksgiving holidays...

We will be in Farmington Hills all day tomorrow hanging out at my oldests daughters. Then I have the next 3 days to get some shop time in..:)

I hate you!! Hahhaahah!!
Have to work friday 7am to 3:30pm then 6pm to mid night and then go back in saturday 7am to when ever it gets done. MIGHT get sunday off.

G'day stevehucks396,

The progress on you'r V8 is looking good, I can't seem to grasp where you find the time.
My little V8 has basically stopped for the moment as here in Western Australia we are leading up to the summer months. I tell ya anywhere above 32 degrees Celsius in my tin workshop is rather uncomfortable so I am enjoying watching the progress you are making for the moment. Please! Please! Please! keep up the great work.

Barry.

rcfreak177 said:
I can't seem to grasp where you find the time.
I tell ya anywhere above 32 degrees Celsius in my tin workshop is rather uncomfortable

Thanks Barry. Living in Michigan, I understand completely. When I added the shop to the back of the garage, I put in a gas furnace and put the centeral air unit on it. I don't use the air much but it is nice to have. The furnace gets used alot. Winter is the time where progress gets better.

Your engine is looking great Steve, Awesome work!

Your engine is looking great!
I still can't get my head around as to how fast your build is progressing! Looking forward to seeing the heads fitted out with the rockers.

Pat

Hello All!

I was supposed to work today but the job was postponed until next week so I woke up and spent a quiet day in the garage. I made another batch of rocker sides. I tossed all the bad ones in the melt bucket. Then I used the CNC mill to make a new fixture. After the fixture was done I started loading the rockers while the mill was still on and ran the pieces right away. The results were much better. I am alot happier with this batch.

DSCN0841s.jpg

DSCN0847s.jpg

DSCN0850s.jpg

Looks great. Your definately getting use out of your cnc setup.
Perfect 4 day weekend and I am getting nothing fun done, waiting on plaster to dry to start painting my living and dining rooms. Thats okay, if it keeps momma happy I will get guilt free shop time when its over. :)

Stevehuckss396 ,

I just found this site today doing research for a cnc conversion project . I am a machinist by trade but most of my experience with cnc is lathe . I have done some home projects with cnc mill and manual mill . Im at a point where a transitions from lathe to mill would not be that difficult . I would have a learning curve though . I only have a drillpress and bandsaw in my garage at this point . I have solidworks 06' and MasterCam 9,10,x4 . Soon X5 at work . I live in a halfplex and worry about all the noise I will be making so I am trying to keep my machine size down . I have been thinking about getting an X2 and later a small lathe to convert . Many guys are trying to talk me out of the X2 but I like the size .

I need to learn 3d programming and get more experience with mill setups . What you are doing is what I would like to work up to . I am big into rc hobbies and could start off on small 2-stroke projects at first . I was wondering what your thought on the X2 size mill would be ? It looks like you mill is about the same size . I dont get to work on small stuff anymore unless I do a homeproject so I look forward to getting my own machines .

Also want to mention this is some awesome work your doing here and I look forward to seeing more of your project .

LatheMaster said:
I was wondering what your thought on the X2 size mill would be ? It looks like you mill is about the same size .

My mill is bigger than the X2. I started with one of those compound tables and built my own. I also have a full size bridgeport.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6511.0

My opinion of the X3 is that it will work well and there is alot of projects that can be done on it. BUT!! Alot of the really cool stuff is to big for the X3. Most of the V8 plans are 1/4 scale and larger with the Whittle V8 being the exception. That is the reason I designed the small V8. You could still make stuff like the Shores Hurc and Silver Bullet and The seal as well as many more small IC engines. Most, but not all X3 owners end up wishing they had a larger machine. If you think you might move into a project like a 1/4 scale V8 or a larger IC engine, maybe move up to a mill like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html

Still a benchtop but you can do larger projects on it. If you plan to stick to smaller projects, the X2 will do you just fine.

Maybe your pals are afraid your mill is to small to do their projects?

It's looking great Steve.....I'm a getting a hankering for a multi!

;D

Toooooo Many Projects!!!!

Dave

Hello All!

Well, I'm one step closer to having the rockers done. I managed to mill the slot in the nose of the rocker. I had some boo boo's along the way that I managed to fix sorta. Good thing these are hidden under valve covers!! I have three things to do still. I need to cut some clearance in the nose for the spring retainer. The rocker will pop the retainer off if i don't. Then the tail will get counterbored and threaded to accept a 2-56 screw. This will allow the pushrod to push on the screw instead of the aluminum rocker.

I am doing all this because I wanted to make some cool rockers. A much simpler rocker could be made in 1/4 the time. What the h7!! was I thinking.

DSCN0852s.jpg

DSCN0855s.jpg

DSCN0858s.jpg

Very nice work Steve!!!!!!!!
George

Latest posts

Back