Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stevehuckss396 said:
None but I dropped a few into the swarf and it took a few minutes to find!! :big: :big:

Ha, I wasn't so lucky. You must have good eyes, or a nice pair of glasses. :big:

No lapping huh, What method do you use to test the fit.?

Kel

Hello All!

Finished all the valves tonight. Everything went according to plan.

DSCN0776s.jpg

Had a little extra time so I got a jump on the rocker studs.

DSCN0778s.jpg

I can't believe the amount of machining you did on the heads and block in that small of a space. I have just been reading this build over the last two nights and i am really impressed. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the great work. Looks just amazing.

bronson said:
I can't believe the amount of machining you did on the heads and block in that small of a space. I have just been reading this build over the last two nights and i am really impressed. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the great work. Looks just amazing.

Thank you!

I was hoping to get some more work done on the rocker studs but I had to work late today. After the studs I will make the valve spring retainers and then the rocker arms. Those are going to be a bugger.

Thanks for the interest.

Steve

Hi Steve,
It looks like the production line at the Ford plant. Great looking work.
George

Marvellous stuff Steve,following every post, makes my engines look like boys work.
Don

Steve,

I read somewhere that you had not been at this very long.

If I had your talent, just think where I'd be after 52 years give or take a bit. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Looks good Steve.

Yeah that repetitive stuff kills me. Thats why I never lasted in factory work.
Same old thing day after day, drove me nuts *bang* *bang* *bang*.
Went into law enforcement for almost twenty years then drove 18 wheelers for awhile till I retired. Really enjoyed Law enforcement.

Ron

Hello All!

Quick update. I have finished all the rocker stud tops. Back to the collets and turning and threading the bottoms. I also reduced the diameter so when the hex is cut on the stud there will be a minimum of material.

DSCN0780s.jpg

DSCN0783s.jpg

Hello All!

I finished all the bottoms and all that is left is to mill the hex on the shaft so they can be installed. For that I just used the rotory table in the mill with a collet holder in the center of the table. 120 pieces in the last 2 weeks and now I have to make the valve spring retainers, 40 of them :'(

DSCN0785s.jpg

DSCN0787s.jpg

DSCN0795s.jpg

DSCN0790s.jpg

Hello All!

I made a few valve spring retainers this morning.

I turned the OD on a piece of 1/4 inch brass about an inch long and faced the end.

DSCN0797s.jpg

Then spot drilled and drilled the ID about an inch deep.

DSCN0799s.jpg

Then I used an endmill to make the flat bottom pocket for the spring clip.

DSCN0801s.jpg

Then I cut a groove deep enough to create the step in the bottom that will insert into the spring.

DSCN0804s.jpg

Then just move over the length of the step and part off the piece. Then starting with the step of making the pocket with the endmill, I continued until the inch of turned material was gone. It took 4 cycles of 1 inch of rod to make 43 pieces with 2 boo boo's.

DSCN0815s.jpg

DSCN0809s.jpg

That's it for the day. I have a half dozen or so club members coming over to hang out, eat, and brain storm about getting there stuff going. Should be a great day!!

Great job Steve, Its kinda fun ending up with so many identical parts, it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. When I made my retainers I kept going until I had about 12 extra, I figured they were easy and I will most likely loose one or two.

Kel

kcmillin said:
Great job Steve, Its kinda fun ending up with so many identical parts, it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. When I made my retainers I kept going until I had about 12 extra, I figured they were easy and I will most likely loose one or two.

Loose them or shoot them accross the garage trying to install them!

Looks good! Thats a slick grooving/parting tool you have there, I need to invest in one.

Latest posts

Back