Straight 6 Cylinder Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Ray, you are quite efficient at this, and the results are exciting!

Of course, I have a couple of questions. I believe you said you used o-rings on the pistons instead of conventional metal rings, correct? What compound do you use (Viton ??), and how long do they last before burning or whatever the failure mode is?

Is the little radiator commonly available? I should have done a google search first. Sorry.

Thanks again for sharing this project with everyone. It is a great way to teach.
Lloyd

I have been busy the last few days cleaning, rearranging the shop and building a display cabinet for the 6 cylinder.
Newest Cabinet.JPG

I am quickly running out of wall space for model engines.
Karl Benz lives on the north wall.
North Wall.JPG

The east center wall is already full.
East Wall Center.JPG

And next to them and a little further south are these and the new one.
East South Wall.JPG

The south wall.
South East Wall.JPG
South Wall.JPG

I will now be seriously fine tuning the 6 cylinder and maybe another video.

16 engines in total do you think I have a problem?

Thanks for looking
Ray

LOL, you know you are in deep when you have to go vertical with shelving.....

Like that shark movie........."Looks like we are going to need a bigger boat....."

............ Snip
16 engines in total do you think I have a problem?

Thanks for looking
Ray
WOW, has someone told you that you have a problem? Do YOU think you have a problem?
My unbiased opinion is ,NO, you do not have a problem. Your engines are still spectacular. Perfectly healthy IMHO.
Lloyd

I counted about 38 engines that my dad built.
He was an energizer bunny engine builder; it was something for him to do after retirement, and a challenge often to see if he could build one from prints in old books.

I don't have photos of them all; dad would build engines, and sometimes give them away before I could even get a photo.
Here are a few.
He had shelving in his shop full of engines, and more engines all over his house on various coffee tables, etc.
I never knew what I would see next when I went over to his house.
I was able to retain about 1/2 of these.

BOBJ-ENGINES-ALL.jpg
Top-Shelf-2008.jpg

@GreenTwin , Now THAT might be bordering on a problem.... no, na, its ok.
Totally off topic, sorry, but what kind of wood is on that tool wall? It's not the typical pine and I can't see enough detail in the grain, but I do have my suspicions. Maybe just one closeup pic as a hint? Is it locally milled T&G? Possibly starts with the letter P? I love old wood.
Thanks, Lloyd
P.S. Ray, thanks for indulging this brief side trip!

Sorry for the off topic.
Dad was in the hardwood lumber business, and so his entire house interior, and his shop interior were tongue-in-groove hardwood of some type. Even the ceiling, LOL.
I should recognize the type, but alas I can't remember what it is.
Nice stuff for sure.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, 16 is not nearly enough......
I am thinking about the next project.
Gonna have to add a board for the next 5 models here next year.
That is really great.
My unbiased opinion is ,NO, you do not have a problem. Your engines are still spectacular. Perfectly healthy
Lloyd you are too kind. Thank you

P.S. Ray, thanks for indulging this brief side trip!
No problem

Update
I replaced the radiator fan and it does have more airflow than the original it is not what I expected. it does keep the water temperature down to 140 degrees so what more can I ask for.
The gas tank was just too small so I made a larger one with almost two times the capacity. The engine will run for about 10 minutes on a tank full.
The most important change I made was to the intake pipes. I moved several of the pipes around to different locations on the intake manifold. It must have had something to do with how the fuel air mixture is acting in the manifold. Anyway all the exhaust pipes are now about the same color and the exhaust temperatures are all within 10 degrees.

The final video.

This engine is completely finished.
Thanks for looking
Ray

Back