Straight 6 Cylinder Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot the picture all the valves completed from a few days back.
IMG_3438.JPG
Progress the last couple of days was laping in the valves, making spring retainers, and cutting the springs to length. I also installed the piston O-rings.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures of those processes but here are the results.
IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

I drilled, counter bored 7/16", and threaded for the 1/4" X 32 spark plugs.
IMG_3444.JPG

I then installed the head and checked for compression.
IMG_3448.JPG

My usual way to check is to spin the flywheel and if it bounces back before TDC then there is enough compression to at least get the engine running. That doesn't work very well when you have a small test flywheel and the resistance of 6 o-rings to over come. You just don't spin the flywheel by hand so I hooked up the hand drill. Doing one cylinder at a time I installed the spark plug and spun the engine over holding the exhaust valve open. Then release the valve and if the drill wants to jump out of your hand then that cylinder is good. All turned out fine.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Ray, I have to say that this project is turning out incredibly well. The thought and detail are very nice, but what makes me chuckle a little is the casual way that you describe the work you are doing. The only stressful part I noticed was tapping all the holes in the top of the block. I think the block and the tap must have both sensed your calmness and followed along with the flow. Now, ........... sawing that tall block of aluminum standing up on end in that short vise would have gotten my heart rate going high enough for the machine to sense it ....... and crash. And I am normally a pretty calm person, LOL.
Again, all very nice.
Lloyd

Thanks Minh

Thought I would continue on the valve train so I cutout the cam supports and made a brass bushing for the cam belt drive pulley.
I installed needle bearings for a cleaner look in the cam supports.
IMG_3452.JPG

Side view of the 3/8" cam shaft.
IMG_3455.JPG

I had this timing belt left over from a previous build and had no expectations that it would be even kinda close but it is the exact length needed for this engine. I think the cam shaft may be a little too high and away from the exhaust valves but I won't know until I have made the cams. I can shave off some on the bottom of the supports if it is and use an idler on the belt.
IMG_3457.JPG

And the other side.
IMG_3459.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

@Rdean33422 , Very nice. That timing belt fitting just right is an indication of how that extra 6 cyl crank will be "just right" some day.

I like the needle bearings. Compact and you use the shaft that you made as the inner race, correct? Is the outer race a pressed cup or a machined hard piece (that would come instead of the pressed cup)? Do you just put a squirt of oil on the needles when you run the engine?
Ray, thanks for sharing and answering.
Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd
The needle bearing have a hard shell. I packed some grease in them before assembly but I will give them a squirt of oil when needed.

Had to mow the lawn today but I was able to get this made.
IMG_3462.JPG

I cut 1" off of this rusty chunk and made a flywheel.
The inside is made of aluminum.
IMG_3466.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Ray

I am going to let the paint cure on the flywheel another day so I don't mess it up. Maybe tomorrow.

I cutout the six cams today but I didn't get any pictures.
This is an older picture showing how I make my cams on the CNC.
Cam Cutout.JPG

All lined up but not timed yet.
IMG_3468.JPG

Earlier I had thought the cam supports were a little high and they were by 0.020 or so so I took 0.040 off all of them just to be sure. I ended up shimming the supports back up 0.025 to get the correct height. Well that move made it necessary to add a belt tightener but that was probably for the best as now I have a way to adjust the belt.
IMG_3472.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

How are those valve keepers attached to the valves? It is great how the keepers don't interfere with the action of the cam lobe.

It appears that valve lash is obtained by careful machining or shaving a bit off the keepers, there is no adjustment, is that correct?

I know that some of the lawn mower engines accomplish valve lash by grinding a bit off the valve stem until the clearance is within spec.

Very nice work once again !

The valves are threaded as are the keepers but not all the way through. The final height of the exhaust valve is adjusted by tapping the keeper a little bit deeper and then rechecking until I get the same height. I start with the shortest valve and make the others conform to that height.

Thanks for asking
Ray

Things don't always go right!
IMG_3474.JPG

If you look at the picture closely you can see the timing belt tensioner is on the other side.
On most of my models the flywheel is on the front of the engine and it turns clockwise. When I built the crank I set it up for the water pump to be the front of the engine. and that end would turn clockwise to be more in tune with automotive engines. Well I completely forgot about that until I was setting the cam lobes. Nothing was lining up the rods were in the wrong places.
I was turning the flywheel clockwise not counter clockwise.
I moved the timing belt tensioner over to the other side, turned the flywheel counter clockwise, and started setting the cams.
When I was finished I turned the engine over several times and then went back to check the cams. None of them were where I had set them. I checked that I had tightened the timing gears to their shafts and that was correct. Only one thing left the timing belt.
On closer examination the teeth on the belt were wider than on the other belts I checked. The spacing was correct at 0.200 but the belt didn't seat into the teeth of the gears. I noticed the belt was a different color so they may be some special belt.
I ordered the correct one but it will be about 2 weeks for delivery.

Just hit me now the water pump turns backwards!! Maybe I can give the belt a half turn.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Latest posts

Back