Wood Beam Engine fabricated by SAM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philjoe5 said:
Thanks for the update Sam. I forgot one of the benefits of working with wood - mess up a part, heat up the living room ;D Tried that once with a bad aluminum part and I put the fire out :big:

Cheers,
Phil

You must not have had the draught door open far enough Phil Rof} Rof} Rof}

BC1
Jim

Hi Kel,
yes that what they used, Soap.
But Soap used on screws can cause rust and eventual failure of the screw.
Also on some wood like: Oak, Cedar and some other like Cherry the moister will react with the wood and the Iron.It is the acid in the wood. The wood will turn black or even blue or gray around the hole. The acid will corode the screw to a point that it has no holding power.
So use Wax, Candle wax, Past wax or so. No stain on the wood.
Take an old oak chair, which was held together width an iron wood screw, apart you will have a two part screw.
Hilmar

PS: If the wood splits by drilling ,you go to fast, the drill can not clear itself or you push to hard.Go back to peg drilling.

Today the progress meter moved in the positive direction.

I made a new "A Frame" and a bunch of 2-56 threaded studs.

The local Hobby Shop had some 2-56 hex nuts in stock. I really need to order a box of the nuts on-line. The hobby shop charged $3 for 18 and I can get a 100 for $3 on-line.

A while back I ordered a 2-56 die nut. Today I got it out and found out it is a smaller OD than all my others. So, I made a holder for it that I could mount in my three jaw chuck. I held the 0.081" diameter steel in the tail stock chuck. To thread the studs, I turned the die nut by hand as I kept pressure on the tail stock chuck. Worked great, nice and straight threads with minimum fuss.

WoodProject006-4.jpg

WoodProject007-3.jpg

With all of the studs I made, I was able to assemble the main support structure today.

WoodProject012-1.jpg

All of the studs will be trimmed after I make some square nuts.

I think it is time to make some bearing blocks for the flywheel so it can be mounted.

Thanks for looking in.

SAM

Lookin good Sam. Nice trick with the small die Thm:

Kel

I'm enjoying this project, Sam, even if it's brown stuff. ; )
Yer doing great!

It's going to look super with the flywheel mounted up.

Dean

SAM in LA said:
Bogs,

Wood moves around if the moisture content changes. To reduce movement after cutting, some sort of sealant needs to be put on it. If you notice when you are at the lumber yard, the kiln dried boards have wax on the ends.

SAM

Not wishing to be picky but to clarify - The timber yard coat the end of the seasoning planks with wax to reduce excessive water loss which would result in the end cracking and splitting as it dries. In general even painted wood on both sides will change shape as it heats and cools - well seasoned hard wood which has been stored in the environment it will have to live in for a few weeks should be relatively stable. Of course cross bracing and using suitable joints will reduce any tendency to twist and warp.

That said central heating is the enemy of wood of any kind. Wood when cut may be 50% water by weight, when seasoned as little 10%.

The wood in use in this project looks like Iroko, a kind of African teak known for it's oiliness and water resistance is should be ideal.

Nice project.

That's coming along nicely Sam ;D

Regards, Arnold

Nice work SAM especially on those 2-56 studs made with the tailstock dieholder. :bow: I note that you used 0.081" steel for the work compared to a major diameter for 2-56 at 0.086".

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
Nice work SAM especially on those 2-56 studs made with the tailstock dieholder. :bow: I note that you used 0.081" steel for the work compared to a major diameter for 2-56 at 0.086".

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,

I was not able to find any 0.086" material. I have a box of nails that are 0.081" so that is what I am using.

Thanks,

SAM

More progress to report.

Today I finished 4 bearing blocks, the cylinder base and head. I may put a finer finish on them at a later date.

WoodProject009-3.jpg

The base and head had a lot of small holes. Some were taped 2-56.

WoodProject007-4.jpg

Taping some 2-56 holes. I held the tap in the drill check to make sure the tap was square to the work piece.

WoodProject004-3.jpg

Both the cyl base and head will need to be set up in the four jaw check so a 7/8" diameter recess can be cut. I made a small dimple to mark the center of the future cylinder.

I machined the cyl base and head from one length of brass and cut them apart with my carbide tipped saw blade.

WoodProject005-2.jpg

That's it for today.

Thanks for stopping by.

SAM

That brass wil look prety damn good with the wood. Nice Work Thm:
Kel

Looking good SAM. Thanks for the progress report. :bow: I'm with Kel - brass on that dark wood is going to look mighty fine!

Cheers,
Phil

Kel, Dean and Phil, thanks for the support.

I need to cut the brass tube for the cylinder to length.

scratch.gif

I'm thinking of turning a piece of wood to the same diameter as the ID of the tubing. This way it will be supported when I use a cutoff tool to trim it to the specified length.

:shrug:

Am I on the right track? What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by.

SAM

Hi Sam - you're making good progress.

You are on the right track with your idea; it should work fine. Beware though - I think you might run into a problem with the parting tool "pinching" down the area where it breaks through, as the wood would still be a bit compressible there. You might have to clean up the "pinched" bit with a small file or emery paper wrapped around a smaller-than-the-cylinder dowel. You could also part to just over-length and trim to length with a normal toolbit running slightly into the wood.

Regards, Arnold

Moving right along.

I appreciate :) the nice comments and words of wisdom from you guys.

I spent some time making more 2-56 and 5-40 studs. I ran out of the 2-56 nuts and refuse to pay hobby shop prices for any more of them. I placed an order today for a box of 100 and the missing drill bits in my drill set. My order should arrive the middle of next week.

It's finally starting to look like a beam engine.

Today, I mounted the flywheel bearings and support blocks to the base framework.

I decided to sleeve the bearing blocks with some oil impregnated bronze. The Bearing blocks will need to be shimmed when they are tightened down so the wheel will turn smoothly.

WoodProject023.jpg

WoodProject020.jpg

Next up will be cutting the cylinder and finishing the base and head for the cylinder.

Thanks for stopping by.

SAM

It's finally starting to look like a beam engine.

How true SAM. Thanks for the progress report. It's looking great :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

kvom said:
When you get that one done, here's the next project: :big: ;D

231.jpg

Thanks,

Looks like fun. I would be afraid of termites.

Years ago at a car show, a fellow had built a car with a wooden body. It was built up like a wood hulled boat. Really nice looking.

SAM

Latest posts

Back