Powder paint for model engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing you know what kind of heating system to use? I inherited an electric oven that worked fine out in my garage. I'm pretty sure a gas oven has too much stuff that doesn't work for powder coating.
Have a look at the Prismatic Powder YouTube site. They use gas ovens for professional coating

not necessarily powder paint but what about cerakote? used alot for refinishing gun parts etc and they have a large variety of colors and supposedly its tough as nails. sprays on with airbrush or regular auto paint sprayer which i dont know if you may already have that equipment or not. and it has to heat cure as well.

not necessarily powder paint but what about cerakote? used alot for refinishing gun parts etc and they have a large variety of colors and supposedly its tough as nails. sprays on with airbrush or regular auto paint sprayer which i dont know if you may already have that equipment or not. and it has to heat cure as well.
Powder coating to get good job is about5 or 6 steps. Great on converter system. But just few can be pain.
The best I found is lacquer Paint. When I was in manufacturing I use dip tank with drip tray to save paint and drying rakes .
Today for ones and twos cardboard and a place to dry in sun.
I use my anvil for small parts.
Works great a day or two in hot and like has been bake on.

Dave

First photo on anvil drying
Second photo after drying.

Attachments

• 20240623_112734.jpg
    20240623_112734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1 Paint Yatzy June 25 2024.jpg
    1 Paint Yatzy June 25 2024.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A fool and his money are soon parted!!! I just ordered the dual voltage gun, an in-line air dryer, an in-line regulator, and black, white, red, yellow, and blue powder paint from Eastwood. This came to a total of $493 Canadian, including shipping and tax. I have an air compressor. I have to see about a toaster oven.--I plead temporary insanity as a result of my recent surgery. The only saving grace here is that I can probably scare up a two day design job that will let me restore the Rupnow fortune.

Last edited:
Cerakote is great stuff but quite expensive. Parts should be sandblasted before application according to the instructions.
A fool and his money are soon parted!!! I just ordered the dual voltage gun, an in-line air dryer, an in-line regulator, and black, white, red, yellow, and blue powder paint from Eastwood. This came to a total of $493 Canadian, including shipping and tax. I have an air compressor. I have to see about a toaster oven.--I plead temporary insanity as a result of my recent surgery. The only saving grace here is that I can probably scare up a two day design job that will let me restore the Rupnow fortune.
Thrift stores are a good place to grap a toaster oven cheap. I paid $5 for mine.

have came up with multiple toaster ovens at yard sales for 5.00 US at different times. just tell them thats all you have left take or leave it and both times they took it. one was like new and very nice.

Wife just drove me thru a torrential rain-storm to the other side of Barrie to buy a toaster oven for $20. Friggin thing is huge---much larger than any individual model engine part. I have plugged it in, and yes, it gets hot quickly. I have to look up the specs on the Black and Decker website, but I think this will do just fine.
4JBGy2.jpg

Wife just drove me thru a torrential rain-storm to the other side of Barrie to buy a toaster oven for $20. Friggin thing is huge---much larger than any individual model engine part. I have plugged it in, and yes, it gets hot quickly. I have to look up the specs on the Black and Decker website, but I think this will do just fine.
4JBGy2.jpg
That will work fantastic !

4JBGy2.jpg
Looks great

Dave

When you get set up and going take a word of advice from someone who learned this the hard way. Never touch the part you are painting while holding an energized powder spray gun. If you do a bright spark will jump from you to the work.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a bit of research on what type of paint mask to use when powder painting. The powder paint is particulate matter with no isocyanates or other nasty chemicals. All you really need is an N95 paper face mask to protect you from inhaling the dust. I could have ordered them from Eastwood, but can buy then locally at Princess Auto for about $4 each---this is the paper face mask with a one way valve that stays shut when you inhale but opens automatically when you exhale.

I'm asking, because I can't seem to get a good answer from the internet.---Is there a powder paint that closely matches a machined brass part, like for instance flywheels? There is an astonishing difference between the price of 5" diameter hot rolled steel and 5" diameter brass. If I can find a powder paint that resembles machined brass, then all future flywheels will be made from hot rolled steel, then powder coated to look like brass.---Brian

I'm asking, because I can't seem to get a good answer from the internet.---Is there a powder paint that closely matches a machined brass part, like for instance flywheels? There is an astonishing difference between the price of 5" diameter hot rolled steel and 5" diameter brass. If I can find a powder paint that resembles machined brass, then all future flywheels will be made from hot rolled steel, then powder coated to look like brass.---Brian
YES ! I went thru that with one of the gatling guns I built. They are mostly all brass. I needed a 1/4" thick piece about 2ft x 7" and brass was way too expensive. I used prismatic powders brass which is translucent. I polished the aluminum first. Prismatic sells a silver/chrome like powder that is supposed to be used as a "base coat" with the brass over it, I didn't use it. It matched the brass on the rest of the gun extremely well, nobody has noticed yet that I "faked it"

Latest posts

Back