Powder paint for model engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon--To a large degree I am overthinking it. I haven't felt like doing much machining since I had my knee replaced in May.--and that is very unusual for me. I have almost worked my way thru this whole powder paint thing, and then I really hope that I soon feel like getting back into the machining side of things.---Brian
Brian unfortunately I know how you feel, been in and out of the hospital a few times this last few months
but finally I drag myself back to the workshop this week and started to enjoy it again.
I have been following your post on powder coating and you have me thinking about building a bench top powder coating oven. (24" length x 24" wide x 24" high) I have been using a modified toaster oven it works but does not have the height to hang parts. By the way, I like your paint booth idea with the box fan.

I did not get any instruction manual with the toaster oven I bought. To properly cure powder paint, an object placed inside the oven must be heated to 400 degrees f and then held at that temperature for 15 minutes. My toaster oven gets up to the 400 degrees okay, but then it shuts off. I can't see any way to make the oven stay on for 15 minutes after it has reached the 400 degrees I have it set for. Am I misunderstanding something?

Mine has a dial set to "bake" then a temp setting and a time setting so I set it to Bake/400°/15 minutes. It also has an option to stay on so you could just time it yourself.

My toaster oven gets up to the 400 degrees okay, but then it shuts off.
It sounds like the toaster oven is working as designed. The heating elements will be on until the internal temp hits the target (eg 400F) and then shuts off. In fact, it probably overshoots the target by some amount. When the temp comes down to below some minimum (maybe 380F?), the element will turn back on. These cycles continue for as long as the time programmed on the front panel (on many/most ovens). Some will use the elements on both top and bottom to get up to temperature and then only the bottom elements to maintain temp. I believe all such heating elements are either "on" at maximum heat output or "off". IOW they don't have variable output.

HTH

Craig

Latest posts

Back