PMR Horizontal Boiler - A Riveting Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stan
I quite agree

A compressor just isn't as much fun as a proper hissing, gurgling boiler with all it's foibles. Stuck check valves, odd steam weeps, and injectors that need cooling down with a cold rag before they will "pick up".

Coal fired ones are even more fun, and very tiring !

Either way lots of opportunities to use the oilcan , I like your dis lube BTW very neat

Steam Turbines won't even run on air without changing the nozzle geometry, well they will, but they just poddle round at few thousand revs, it's only when you get 'em on steam that they really take off.

@philjoe

Nice analogy mate spot on

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Stan,

I know this is an old thread but it's new to me and I wanted to thank you for the great detailed information. I have both this kit and the vertical kit and have been a bit intimidated by them. Only a couple of days ago I started on the vertical BLR-1 and your photos and descriptions are a huge help. This is my first real project using my lathe and mill so it's a bit of a challenge for me. I already had to order a new top casting because I messed up the first one.:eek:

Thanks again, Al

Now I get it. Building a boiler consists of drilling an infinite number of holes, which are then filled with an infinite number of rivets, which then results in the boilermaker running to the the nearest bar and ordering an infinite number of boilermakers.

I've never riveted before and, after the last two days, I don't think I want to repeat the exercise. Not that it's difficult and the instructions from PM Research are excellent. It's really, really boring and I'm hoping that after I get LOTS of paint on it, my crappy Riveting 101 exercise won't look too bad.

The horizontal boiler kit from PM Research is excellent. Quality castings. Everything you need, including stock to make the tools, is included.

Here are the riveting tools. Simple lathe work. Since they look identical on the bench, I "numbered" them with 1,2 and 3 grooves. The riveting dolly is in the anvil, a piece of 3/4"x 2" x 12" CRS (just about the only thing not included.)

Drilling and riveting pictures will now commence.

The drilling and milling template from the plans is taped around the shell. This saved much layout.

Fitting the tube sheets to a slip fit. Yesterday I didn't even know what a tube sheet was, now I'm fitting them.

Drilling the outlet hole for the steam dome.

Deburring the rivet holes for the tube sheets.

Milling the shell

Drilled and milled

The steam dome. One hole is drilled and riveted to hold position. then a second hole is also drilled and riveted. With the parts now fixed in place, the remainder of the holes are drilled.

More holes for more rivets.

It's like building a ship in a bottle.

Next installment - End sheet riveting if you can stand the suspense.
What a great thread! Thanks so much for posting! This is exactly what I want for my S50 plant. The rivets might be tedious, but the look fantastic, and authentic! Well done!
Would you recommend the kit to others?

Hope you didn't miss the thrilling "I riveted the end plates on upside down" episode. You are correct. That boiler is on the shelf and the new one is progressing. In addition to cleaning meticulously, I've fluxed before riveting this time. Thanks for noticing. First boiler. Learning a lot.
Great job mate! The coal fired boiler is so much more authentic than a gas fired one. I hate the smell of gas too!
Thanks again for a great post!!

Not sure about anywhere else, but in the UK riveted boilers are now NOT certifiable. Which in turn means you can't insure what you are doing if running in public, etc. - or if you injure yourself and use insurance for personal accident medical costs...
The Federation, etc. Have simply taken advice and the answer is simply "no riveted and soft soldered boilers".
Another point. The burner looks to be around 1kW to 1.5kW gas power. This translates to about 50 to 70% efficient.
Except the hot boiler will lose over half a kW with the uninsulated shiny copper top half.... and the uninsulated copper pipe to the engine.
OK if it works for you. But industrially you would never have a shiny copper uninsulated boiler, riveted or whatever.
But we'll done for an excellent thread. I enjoyed reading it and know I shall never use my Father's copper rivets and tools on a pressure boiler. But nice on casings etc...
I have also used copper rivets and roves on a clinker boat from 1932 thar needed repair.
I appreciate you high quality of build, having made a few silver solder boilers.
WELL DONE SIR!
K2

Latest posts

Back