PIP 3 Cylinder Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll prolly just use low temp solder when I get to this. It requires less heat and the capillary action does its thing. I’m currently building an arbor for my Quorn T&C grinder. I have a new 46 grit cup wheel I’m going to use to rough the fin cutting bit from a 3/8’s hss blank. I have fine grit wheels mounted on arbors but they load up pretty quickly when taking off a lot of material.
well so far, I still have 4 cylinders in play 😂

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Got the throttle barrel made, First step was to turn it to size and then drill a 2.5mm hole and then tap for a 3mm hex bolt then I put it in the 4th axis because I didn't want to setup the dividing head
So I didn't have to worry about the angel difference between the venture and the slot, after the milling was done I then parted it off and then drill the 1/8" hole in the other end

The weather is cold at the moment, not that good for being outside (hate winter)

IMG_2585.jpegIMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2588.jpeg

IMG_2591.jpegIMG_2592.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg
Still need to do a dit of sanding work on the carb body to take the marks out of it

Last edited:
I didn't mention this before but I had a lot of trouble with the big end bearing (threading it)
I made a bout 4 of these and everyone came out with a tapered thread on it, I could not work out why this was happening, I threaded it before drilling the hole so it would not collapse because it is very thin walled
I tried opening the die a bit but nothing I tried worked they were all tapered after threading
In the end I threaded it on the cnc lathe and it was fine

You might want to thread it on the lathe first

Got the throttle barrel made, First step was to turn it to size and then drill a 2.5mm hole and then tap for a 3mm hex bolt then I put it in the 4th axis because I didn't want to setup the dividing head
So I didn't have to worry about the angel difference between the venture and the slot, after the milling was done I then parted it off and then drill the 1/8" hole in the other end

The weather is cold at the moment, not that good for being outside (hate winter)

View attachment 157833View attachment 157834

View attachment 157835

View attachment 157837View attachment 157838

View attachment 157836
Still need to do a dit of sanding work on the carb body to take the marks out of it
Wow! Looking awesome Michael. Very nice! It’s the hottest part of the summer here but luckily, it’s been quite mild compared to normal. That will change though as July is July and it’s always a bear here.

I didn't mention this before but I had a lot of trouble with the big end bearing (threading it)
I made a bout 4 of these and everyone came out with a tapered thread on it, I could not work out why this was happening, I threaded it before drilling the hole so it would not collapse because it is very thin walled
I tried opening the die a bit but nothing I tried worked they were all tapered after threading
In the end I threaded it on the cnc lathe and it was fine

You might want to thread it on the lathe first
Thanks for the tip! I assume you’re referring to the main bearing with the threaded OD? My lathe does single point threading quite well usually.

Latest posts

Back