PIP 3 Cylinder Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I’m at a point where I’ve drilled down most of the way but stopped short until I figure out a way to gauge the land thickness. I’m considering making a slot gauge with the width of the land. @littlelocos Any thoughts?
It's been a while since I made mine. All holes were tapped manually in the mill using a sleeve-style tap guide (like the ones held in a lathe tail-stock.) I usually follow the procedure of tapered, plug, and bottoming with the taps. The valve cages were initially set up dry, but leaked. This was rectified with a drop of wicking Loctite.

More what I'm wondering about is the gas flow through diffuser. Is it entering through the lower (yellow shade) array of holes, into the pie chambers & then flung out to the induction tubes? What does the (pink shade) opening do?
The idea was to allow some of the mixture to pass thru the diffuser at the drive pin as well. The diffuser was needed as I had trouble with fuel distribution between the cylinders. It helps to make sure each one gets its fair share of the mix.

Is been a long time since I looked at these plans. It just re-occurred to me the carb is front-ish on the nose case. So presumably the mist charge can lubricate cam gear train, back through bottom rod assembly, through that the rotating vane diffuser/booster? part up to the heads. But I can't quite figure out how that diffuser/booster wheel works. There is an aperture slot on the upper area & a series of holes on the bottom? Any explanation in that regard? (The full parts diagram is shown in post#1)
Yes, the idea is that the fuel/air/oil mix takes care of the timing gears, cam, crank, cylinders, etc. as it passes thru the crankcase rather than relying on blow-by or exhausted oil as is typical for commercially available four stroke model airplane engines.

The hall effect sensor is installed, connected the electronic ignition to test that it works, all good fires the spark plug ok
Nice spark ignition system, Michael. Sorry for all the questions but this has been on my brain recently. Maybe I missed but what specific CDI unit did you select & what hall sensor was used? I assume the orange part with set screw is your magnet rotor? Is the distributer conductor strip gap-less for CDI-IN (as opposed to some kind of contact spring) About how much air gap between the cylinder terminals? From your initial intro picture post-1 looks like a shop made park plugs. Did you end up using these for your recent successful test or ended up with commercial plugs?

Attachments

• SNAG-11-08-2024 12.21.59 PM.jpg
    SNAG-11-08-2024 12.21.59 PM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
It's been a while since I made mine. All holes were tapped manually in the mill using a sleeve-style tap guide (like the ones held in a lathe tail-stock.) I usually follow the procedure of tapered, plug, and bottoming with the taps. The valve cages were initially set up dry, but leaked. This was rectified with a drop of wicking Loctite.
Thanks. I did a bit of back and forth drilling and manually tapping the last bits in the cage holes. I’ve got all six pretty close but not flush with the cylinder cavity. I removed and reinstalled the cylinders from the fixture multiple times in order to ensure I wasn’t drilling to deep. It’s really hard to gauge the depth by eye when installed on the fixture. If anything I’m a bit shallow at this point but I’m thinking it should be fine. Here’s a pic of my progress. I’m now ready to perform a thorough cleaning and loctite them in. Next op is drilling the ports to finish off the cylinders.
IMG_3416.jpeg

Nice spark ignition system, Michael. Sorry for all the questions but this has been on my brain recently. Maybe I missed but what specific CDI unit did you select & what hall sensor was used? I assume the orange part with set screw is your magnet rotor? Is the distributer conductor strip gap-less for CDI-IN (as opposed to some kind of contact spring) About how much air gap between the cylinder terminals? From your initial intro picture post-1 looks like a shop made park plugs. Did you end up using these for your recent successful test or ended up with commercial plugs?
I used the plugs I made and the gap is around .023in or .58mm that ma need adjusting not sure yet
CDI was from Roy Sholl, he has stoped producing them but has passed it on to Dan Williams, dlwssignition @ gmail . com
Roys web page is still up if you want to look at it https://www.cncengines.com/
The blue part has the magnets and the orange part is the rotor, it has a thin strip of brass on it
The rotor is very close to the contacts in the distributor
Hell sensors I got from some where on the internet, I have had them for a while so I can't remember the site I got them from

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

Have been waiting for some Cerrobend to be delivered, it arrived this week
It has a low melting point 70deg
I got a birko that is used to boil water and a small stainless steel cup
The cerrobend is put in to the cup and then the cup is put into the boiling water and this melts the metal, then it can be poured into the brass tube and then bent with out deforming

IMG_2814.jpeg
This is the birko and the SS cup

IMG_2815.jpeg
This is the cerrobend

IMG_2816.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg
The setup in the lathe for bending the tube, the lathe is being used as a vice just to hold the fixture

IMG_2812.jpeg
IMG_2810.jpeg
3 Exhaust Pipes bent to shape
After bending the tubes are put back into the boiling water and the cerrobend just melts out

IMG_2819.jpeg
Setup for holding the tubes for cutting

IMG_2818.jpeg
All tubes were cut to length with a dremal, the cutting wheel on the dermal was run down nails on either end so all tubes were cut to the same dimensions

IMG_2823.jpeg

Still have to do the Inlet tubes, these will be a bit more tricky as they have two bends that need to be at a precise distance with a sideways twist so the fit onto the header and slide into a hole in the crankcase

When you bend the intake tubes, may I suggest that you modify your bending tool (the plate with a hole in it).
I would suggest adding a fixture to locate the end of the pipe after the first bend is made and trimmed to length.

I did try to start it, unfortunately it would not keep running it would fire
It took a while to get the timing right (ignition), it's looking like a fuel problem, so I have. made a new Bake plate and put the carby inlet in the back, so it goes straight into the diffuser

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg
IMG_2872.jpeg

IMG_2873.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

My feeling with this setup is that the carby is now a bit low in relation to the fuel tank
I will make a new inlet manifold so that the carby is facing out to the side, I think this will solve the problem with the fuel

But I won't be able to work on it again for a few weeks as I have had surgery (Thursday 29-8)on my left hand (carpal tunnel and trigger finger release), right had has been done and is all good

Thank you for following and I will put more up when I can get back to it

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2877.jpeg
    IMG_2877.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Glad to hear your on the mend! I love the ingenuity that went into the tubing fixtures. Interesting that you were having a fuel issue with the carb mounted in the standard location. Could it be a problem with the carb? A vacuum leak somewhere? The intent of Don’s design is for the fuel mixture to lubricate the bearings from front to back as it’s sucked into the defuser for delivery to the intake headers. Will the relocation prevent proper lubrication?

When I was having trouble starting my newly completed Edwards radial the problem ended up being my homemade spark plugs. The material that I used was supposed to be "just like Corian" but it wasn't. My plugs shorted out internally.

Latest posts

Back