Another Knucklehead, built via castings, as a Draw-Tech design, upscaled

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valve cages installed, press fit and high temperature Loctite , hole and thread for spark plug , inlet and outlet holes
IMG_5863.jpg
IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg
IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

The valves
I turned the profile of the valves with a small and old CNC lathe that I purchased from a school, I replaced the entire electrical/electronic part with a Chinese CNC controller and a computer
IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

I lapped the valves with a tool that rotates back and forth a few degrees, with drill
I glued a "mushroom" on the valve which is connected with a flexible hose to the lapping tool

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

the final check with a vacuum pump

IMG_5926.jpg

Last edited:
Mockup heads

a first assembly test of the heads with all the brass components, the valves assembled with the springs and seegers, exaust and intake flanges

IMG_5927.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg
IMG_5929.jpg
IMG_5930.jpg
IMG_5931.jpg

the Draw-Tech design of the valve system

IMG_5932.jpg

I still have to build the final rocker arm shafts then I can move on to the camshafts and the others engine parts.

Last edited:
Great work! Nice castings! How much did you have to lap the valves to get a good seal?

Great work! Nice castings! How much did you have to lap the valves to get a good seal?
I leave a sharp edge in the valve cages, lapping with a fine liquid abrasive (grit 800) for 2 minutes with a lapping tool and obtain a good seal.
One of the 4 valves took me a long time to get a good seal. The cage had probably been deformed during installation with press, it was no longer circular. I had to create a small bevel, lap with 320 abrasive and then lap with fine liquid. More than1 hour of work for 1 valve

That's my aversion to using cages. I know some have good luck with them but I haven't. When making the cages with the seats already cut if you get a deformity and have to cut or heavily lap the seat then the seat becomes too wide. Here again not that it won't work but the seat area should be kept as small as possible. On a engine of your size that would make them in the .025-.035 range.

That's my aversion to using cages. I know some have good luck with them but I haven't. When making the cages with the seats already cut if you get a deformity and have to cut or heavily lap the seat then the seat becomes too wide. Here again not that it won't work but the seat area should be kept as small as possible. On a engine of your size that would make them in the .025-.035 range.

when I turn a combined seat and guide the piece sticks out beyond the chuck and is made in a single chucking so the turning and drilling all end up both perfectly concentric and perfectly round, then I use loctite to hold them in the head, I do not press them in, I did that once and they shrank and the valve stems no longer slid into the guides which had to be reamed after installation which meant they ended up non-concentric with the seats, so lots of extra lapping required.

Some machining of the crankcase right, left end cam box

the red jig it is to obtain the 45 degree angle of the cylinder seats , 3D printed

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

Cam box

IMG_5339.jpg

to get the exact center of the bearing seat on the cam box cover, aligned with the crankshaft bearing seats, I used a center drill that rotates on the crankshaft bearings

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

this small hole will be a reference for all the bearing seats on the cover

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dubious Humor follows: Ignore if you want.

(See Post #50)

Johnny Five and his cousin Juan Cinco meet to plan the takeover of this project.

(In all seriousness, I am following and admiring this build and I Thank You for posting.)

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back