Upshur's opposed twin engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An other way : Fix the 2 lobes on the shaft at an angle of 102 degrees, then adjust the position of the gear.
You need to have the correct cam leading.

Brian why not Loctite the two cams in place, if you get it wrong pull the shaft out, heat to break the Loctite and then reposition the other way round. Saves making a new cam with screw boss.

As I and others have said forget about the 2nd cylinder, just turn the engine over by hand and get the first set up as you have done with previous singles which will soon show which way the two camsneed to be set. The second cylinder will take care of itself apart from a bit of lash adjustment.

Not a lot got done at the Rupnow house today. We did make one cam with a hub and set screws. I thought a lot about loctiting the cams in place and trying to see if I got it right, but its a major job to do that and then find out I got it wrong. My powder paint is at my front door and I haven't had a chance to go and get it yet. That's all my machining today.--I haven't even given the new cam a bath yet. I just photographed it straight from heat threat.
ToKzZ7.jpg

Rw5h6V.jpg

So here we are, one cam J.B. Welded to the shaft, other cam with set screws wiped with greasy q-tip inside so it won't stick to the J.B. weld, and the gear wiped inside with grease so it doesn't stick to the J. B. Weld. This seems like such a simple thing, but it took me two hours to do this. Now it's time for some lunch!!!
RB09tI.jpg

Today I'm figuring out how far powder paint goes. I paid $26 per pound. With my trusty teaspoon I put 10 tea-spoonful's into my powder paint gun bottle. I painted everything multiple coats---the reason being that I can only spray what faces the opening in the spray booth. I turned the aluminum sheet everything was setting on about 6 times to ensure that I got full coverage on everything. (the ground was hooked to the aluminum sheet) Then with my trusty teaspoon, I put 9 teaspoons of powder from the gun bottle back into the bag of powder paint. That's right---one teaspoonfull of powder to paint everything at least six times. That included the flywheel, the coned front of the flywheel, the top plate, the cam gear cover, the air breather that sets on top of the top plate, and the large base/gastank and the threaded cap that screws onto the gas tank spout. Everything is now setting in the curing oven, where, if I have lived right the powder is melting and flowing out into a gloss finish.
pIPj2n.jpg

XTRFaL.jpg

This is the green paint glossed out after the oven had cooled down. My main concern was "Would a powder paint from Emerald Coatings flow and gloss out using an oven from Eastwood?" The question has been answered in a most satisfactory manner. Tomorrow I will start putting everything back together and see if this thing will run.---Brian
YcSkQK.jpg

Latest posts

Back