stuck thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillybilly

Reaction score
Thought i would post here before posting on the boo Boo section .

I have made a brass M25x 2 threaded plug in brass to go into a aluminium cylinder ,all good with the threading op ,fitted the cylinder to check fit and ensure it met the shoulder ok , FATAL issue being i can only rotate it 1 turn off the shoulder and now its stuck!!!!!!

Thought about warming the ally neck in the hope of expanding it?
Cant really get a big strap wrench round the cylinder as it has a mega polished surface .

Any advice greatly appreciated

You've bolloxed it,

Well you did ask for advise.

BTW I've finished all the bickies, send some more, hob nobs this time.

A bit of dilemma that one. I have heard of a mixture of acetone and auto transmission fluid used for freeing up seized or 'frozen' fasteners. I have not used such a concoction but it sounds feasible as both fluids are of a quite 'watery' consistency. I'm sorry I can not afford a sure fire answer to your question/problem. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

The parts are probably galled together. They are not frozen like some old fastener that's been screwed into something for a long time. In the case of the traditional rusty bolt I've always found that heating the p%$# out of it usually helps along with lots of penetrating oil. I'm not sure heating is going to help in this situation, but, within reason, it won't make things worse. Short of starting over, I think I'd try working some lock ease (Graphite in light oil) into the joint and keep working the parts back and forth gently and maybe you can break it free. Pity 'bout the polish. Makes it hard to do much w/o ruining the finish. I guess you could also bore out the plug and save the cylinder or whatever the shiny bit is. On a more philosophical note, it doesn't work like it is so try something, it can't not work any less.

Aluminum expands quicker than brass when heated.

Stick in the kitchen oven at 350° for 10 minutes and try taking it out.

Rick

Hold it with oven mits and cool the brass bit in water if heating both doesn't do it.

Perhaps you could superglue a piece of leather or canvas strap around the cylinder to make a surface that your strap wrench could grab. If it works, use acetone afterwards to clean it off.

Another possibility is to drill and bore out the plug. You should be able to save the cylinder threads since once you get close you should be able to collapse the remains of the plug and fish it out.

Alan

chillybilly said:
I have made a brass M25x 2 threaded plug in brass to go into a aluminium cylinder ,all good with the threading op ,FITTED THE CYLINDER TO CHECK FIT and ensure it met the shoulder ok , FATAL issue being i can only rotate it 1 turn off the shoulder and now its stuck!!!!!!

Thought about warming the ally neck in the hope of expanding it?
Cant really get a big strap wrench round the cylinder as it has a mega polished surface .

Any advice greatly appreciated
.........I'm not sure I got the picture. You fitted the cylinder into what? If you mean "fitted plug into cyl." and you crossed it heat & lube are the save. Chuck cyl. up in the lathe. Rotate and heat with torch. Wrench on plug to remove. You can leather over the jaws to save the finish or re-polish.

Kermit said:
Hold it with oven mits and cool the brass bit in water if heating both doesn't do it.

chillybilly

After you have it nice and hot in the oven use something similar to a cardboard roll from toilet paper as a guide and spray with Diesel starter fluid which contains ether. This will freeze the brass while the aluminum is hot and should help get it apart. Don't breath the fumes or get any on your fingers. It will freeze your fingers as it requires heat to evaporate.

Cheers :)

Don

HOB NOBS ? Come on john show a bit of class ...............

INSPIRED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Woke up made a brew ,headed for the shop ,placed my trials riding gloves on (sticky palms) and got real "medievel" with it !!!

Its now off ,left shoulder hurts like mad but its off !!! ;D
Thanks for the advice lads ,i was looking down the barrel of a big pile of misery .

Also got busted by SWMBO measuring up the oven ,a sore point at the moment as it was only a few weeks ago that i got caught with "alien" items in the dishwasher !!!!

chillybilly said:
Also got busted by SWMBO measuring up the oven ,a sore point at the moment as it was only a few weeks ago that i got caught with "alien" items in the dishwasher !!!!

Methinks "Life in the Fast Lane," can be quite hazardous at times. :fan: Not to mention the resulting removal of privileges. :toilet:

Best Regards
Bob

Not wrong Bob ,had to take the hit and remember all the things i have managed to get through the dishwasher un detected :big:

Must have been my weekend the following day her car threw one and i saved the day ............... redeemed

too add .............tickled 0.02 mm out of the thread and its sweet as a nut now.

Need to make an internal thread now to suit so i can do the work on the back face and "jobs a good un" ...........................easy as that :-\

All done ,M25 x 2 external with a 9/16 UNF internal ,shy of the m25 thread to avoid causing a thin wall .

pic for your pleasure . :big:

25032010416.jpg

Latest posts

Back