retread chuck ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdoughsmitty

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Well I have not as yet piked up the desk top mahines i talked about in the welome section .but I have a question about the 7x type lates and that is what is the max chuck i ould put on this?(central machinery) I want to make sure that for what i am going to be doing that I will not be too restricted
thax smitty

A 5" fits but you have to be careful of the jaws hitting the bed when it's wound out pretty far. Check mini-lathe.com and littlemachineshop.com have some info on them.

FYI, I have 4" 3-jaw and 4-jaw for mine and they're big enough so far. The thru-hole on the spindle is smaller than the bore on the 4" chucks so you can't get any more use out of 'em in that regard.

HI guys ,
well I did finally pick up the aforementioned tools ;D the reason I needed a bigger chuck was to turn at aleast 4" stock in it flywheels etc. thanx for the info , a lms catalog was in with all the stuff with this package.
thanx again smitty

Hi Smitty i haven't personally used one of those 7" mini lathes but you should get onto mini-lathe.com as Winklmj said and read up on the machine closest to yours. mini lathes have a problem of of bogging down when doing large diameters like 4" so just be aware of this and maybe chose your stock carefully.

most importantly have fun its what its all about :big:

good thing for holding stuff on a faceplate, alterative to cheap chucks!

sourdoughsmitty said:
HI guys ,
well I did finally pick up the aforementioned tools ;D the reason I needed a bigger chuck was to turn at aleast 4" stock in it flywheels etc. thanx for the info , a lms catalog was in with all the stuff with this package.
thanx again smitty

You can turn a 4" flywheel by holding the piece against the chuck with a live center rather than grip it in the chuck. Use double sided tape to keep it from slipping and take light cuts. I have done a number of those on a 7x10.

Latest posts

Back