Powder painting a flywheel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As suggested, practice on a piece of scrap. There is a bit of a learning curve. You'll be in a world of hurt if you screw up the flywheel. It's a royal pain to get the paint off after.

Brian, you probably know that the most effective way to learn is by researching and then putting that knowledge into practice. This process involves trying, facing failure, and then trying again. It seems like you've already done a lot of research, even more than I have. The next step is to actually give it a try. As long as you have a sand blaster, there's nothing to be concerned about. I'm including a photo of my third attempt at powder coating. ( Red and black tool rest) One piece of advice I can give is to preheat your parts to get rid of any remaining moisture. Good luck, although I don't think you need it.

P.S. I tried your paint booth idea, and it works really well. I don't use the fan while applying the powder coat, but it does help with the cleanup once the parts are in the oven. Thank you for posting.
Edit: Make sure you have a good ground on your parts ( Don't ask ;) )
DSC00035.JPG

Last edited:
It's been an exciting, rewarding, and expensive August and September. For less than $800 I have a dedicated powder paint booth with fan, a powder paint kit including gun, s.s. wire to hang parts, a roll of heat proof masking tape, a selection of powder paints, and a selection of heat resistant rubber masking plugs, a bake oven (a new one is being shipped to me as I speak), a sandblaster, a cyclone separator, and a dedicated vacuum to use with the sandblaster and an angle iron frame to support the sandblaster. I purchased the main body of the sandblaster for $60, but have proved to myself after the fact that the body could have been built from one 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" plywood---see the model. I have really needed a break from building miniature engines. This past two months has been exciting, exasperating, and a learning experience. Today I'm doing nothing, and enjoying it.
c1DimM.jpg

Back