PIP 3 Cylinder Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same. Make an extra in case of "casualties." My extra cylinder used threaded ports for intake and exhaust. These didn't look very neat, so I switched to the flanged connection. I may still use it for a single-cylinder version.

BTW, I'm amazed to see your CNC at work. Your photos and videos are great!
What size was the prop used on the engine?

I did the same. Make an extra in case of "casualties." My extra cylinder used threaded ports for intake and exhaust. These didn't look very neat, so I switched to the flanged connection. I may still use it for a single-cylinder version.

BTW, I'm amazed to see your CNC at work. Your photos and videos are great!
Totally agree. His CNC work has inspired me to leverage an old CNC mill I picked up last year and am still learning on. I love how Michael employed a jig to mount parts on for milling and flipping over for the reverse side op. Ingenious!

Not much done today, made all the liners the correct length and put the 30 deg taper on the inside bottom of them.
Played a round with the laser, and did some assembly

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg
IMG_2507.jpeg
IMG_2509.jpeg

It's coming together well

How many times are you speeding up the videos as people may be getting the wrong idea of how fast you are running things at. I thought it looked fast the other day and now seeing you in this one has confirmed what I thought.

It's coming together well

How many times are you speeding up the videos as people may be getting the wrong idea of how fast you are running things at. I thought it looked fast the other day and now seeing you in this one has confirmed what I thought.
I speed the videos up to 20x or 8x

The cycle time to cut the two slots using a 1/8" end mill and then a 1/16" to clean the corner out was
2min 27sec, the video speed was 8x faster so it came to 31sec

The reason is it cuts the file size down and also I tend to think people don't want to watch a video that is 5, 10, 15 or longer, minutes
I don't do it to try and make someone think it is a fast process or a fast machine, I thought it helps to show the setups, the mill and lathe have been converted by me

Maybe I should mention the actual cycle time with the videos

This is the Mill

Mill.jpeg

This is the small lathe
Lathe.jpeg

Last edited:
I have started to model the carbs in fusion360
Nice. I switched over to FreeCAD once F360 started taking away functionality in the hobby version. I had to develop a post processor in the Path (cam) workbench module in the application. It now works well at converting the model to G code that works with my Dynapath Delta 40 Mill control. I did a quick test of the PIP slave rod, below.

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpeg
    IMG_3347.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3349.jpeg
    IMG_3349.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nice. I switched over to FreeCAD once F360 started taking away functionality in the hobby version. I had to develop a post processor in the Path (cam) workbench module in the application. It now works well at converting the model to G code that works with my Dynapath Delta 40 Mill control. I did a quick test of the PIP slave rod, below.
That part looks good, only a few more to go and you have an engine :)

The hobby version of fusion was good when it first became available, but now it has a lot of limitations

Agree it can put people off if a video is excessively long. On the odd occasion that I speed something up I just put something like x8 or x20 in the corner of the screen when editing the video. I also put mine up using Youtube so file size is not such an issue and there is the optin there to alter playback speed if anyone wants to.

I design in Alibre and just use F360 for the CAM, as I probably only use the CNC for a few hours a month so the loss of rapids is not much of an issue. Increased stay down time and a fast non engaged speed help stop the adaptives taking too long

Last edited:
I speed the videos up to 20x or 8x

The cycle time to cut the two slots using a 1/8" end mill and then a 1/16" to clean the corner out was
2min 27sec, the video speed was 8x faster so it came to 31sec

The reason is it cuts the file size down and also I tend to think people don't want to watch a video that is 5, 10, 15 or longer, minutes
I don't do it to try and make someone think it is a fast process or a fast machine, I thought it helps to show the setups, the mill and lathe have been converted by me

Maybe I should mention the actual cycle time with the videos

This is the Mill

View attachment 157481

This is the small lathe
View attachment 157482
Any complaints with the bench top CNC lathe? I have a manual 13x48 LeBlond but would love to have an affordable CNC lathe.

Any complaints with the bench top CNC lathe? I have a manual 13x48 LeBlond but would love to have an affordable CNC lathe.
No complaints now
Since I change the controller over to Masso it is really good now, never did like mach3 on the lathe and not having a computer is the best thing (it was about to die anyway)
The Masso takes a bit to get the hang of on the lathe, but once you get used to it it is good

Any problems are normal caused by the user

The cylinder take a while to complete as they have a lot of work in them, you are off to a good start

Got some more work on the carby done
The hole for the barrel didn't come out absolutely round so I will run a rear through it and hopefully that will fix it
I didn't have a reamer when I drilled it out so I have ordered a 10.5mm, that's about the closest to the size I will need

IMG_2531.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2547.jpeg

IMG_2549.jpeg

Last edited:
A little more work on the carby today
Got the fuel fitting and the cap to plug up the hole in the side plate, I used solder paste to solder these in place
I hadn't used the paste type solder before, it worked quiet well and there was no clean up after with solder running all over where you don't want it
First I made a fixture to hold the side plate at the right angle 25°, drill a .078" through in to the fuel passage, the a 1/8" .078 deep for the fuel fitting

IMG_2555.jpegIMG_2557.jpegIMG_2558.jpegIMG_2559.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpegIMG_2562.jpegIMG_2563.jpegIMG_2565.jpegIMG_2567.jpegIMG_2568.jpegIMG_2570.jpegIMG_2571.jpegIMG_2572.jpegIMG_2573.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Curious if you couldn’t use a small boring bar or
A little more work on the carby today
Got the fuel fitting and the cap to plug up the hole in the side plate, I used solder paste to solder these in place
I hadn't used the paste type solder before, it worked quiet well and there was no clean up after with solder running all over where you don't want it
First I made a fixture to hold the side plate at the right angle 25°, drill a .078" through in to the fuel passage, the a 1/8" .078 deep for the fuel fitting

View attachment 157651View attachment 157652View attachment 157653View attachment 157654

View attachment 157655

View attachment 157656View attachment 157657View attachment 157658View attachment 157660View attachment 157661View attachment 157662View attachment 157663View attachment 157664View attachment 157665View attachment 157666

View attachment 157668
Looking great! The side plate and fuel inlet appear yellow in the photos. Are they made from brass?

Yes it is brass
It seem to get more of a yellow gold look after heating to melt the solder
I’ll prolly just use low temp solder when I get to this. It requires less heat and the capillary action does its thing. I’m currently building an arbor for my Quorn T&C grinder. I have a new 46 grit cup wheel I’m going to use to rough the fin cutting bit from a 3/8’s hss blank. I have fine grit wheels mounted on arbors but they load up pretty quickly when taking off a lot of material.

Latest posts

Back