Mastiff lc mason engine REDO .

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's simple, Just set a 45 (30, 60 ) degree angle between the workpiece and the cutter on the lathe or milling machine

20241027_224620.jpg

20241027_224924.jpg

To select right counts of teeth gear wheel cutter to cut helical gear: Zh=z÷COS³

The same counts of gear teeth in the gear cutter can't cut the helical gear with same counts of gear teeths due angled teeth's has difference profile.

It's simple, Just set a 45 (30, 60 ) degree angle between the workpiece and the cutter on the lathe or milling machine
That might work but unless you use a method like the Chuck Fellows fixture or another method that rotates the gear against the cutter, you will not get a constant depth gear tooth
Here's a bit of the information Chuck posted.

Attachments

• HelicalAttachment.pdf
    97.7 KB
Above post with Chuck's explanation is correct. That's why I bought the gears I wanted. You must rotate the workpiece through the cut, so needs a geared drive to do that. And special milling cutters for the "COS" factor to get the correct tooth gap. It's why these are so expensive to buy! (And hard to find!)
K2

Above post with Chuck's explanation is correct. That's why I bought the gears I wanted. You must rotate the workpiece through the cut, so needs a geared drive to do that. And special milling cutters for the "COS" factor to get the correct tooth gap. It's why these are so expensive to buy! (And hard to find!)
K2
For general milling of the helical gears, the cutter isn't that big of a problem, according to Colvin and Stanley's Gear Cutting Practice book, there is a chart, Fig 77, p120 for how to select the appropriate B&S system cutter number.
1730051237619.jpeg

Thanks for the comments
As Chuck Fellows said : "but I the gears that I have made mate and work flawlessly"
And ....
With all due respect, if you are commercially hobbing helical gears, that math is required, if you are milling the gears for low power, low usage gears, the chart I posted will get you where you need to be.

I am aiming for smooth operation . "not commercial"
If you have seen those 2 gears they have angles of 30 and 60 degrees and I am having trouble with angle settings for the tool
I would like to ask if it is possible to change all of them to 45 degrees ? -- Of course when changing I need to recalculate the parameters ... of the gears

Thanks for the comments
As Chuck Fellows said : "but I the gears that I have made mate and work flawlessly"
And ....

I am aiming for smooth operation . "not commercial"
If you have seen those 2 gears they have angles of 30 and 60 degrees and I am having trouble with angle settings for the tool
I would like to ask if it is possible to change all of them to 45 degrees ? -- Of course when changing I need to recalculate the parameters ... of the gears
Without knowing more about what they do, probably not.

The 30/60 (approximate) gear ratio gives you the 2:1 speed ratio for gears that have the same diameter.
If you go with 45 degree gears, then for a 2:1 speed ratio, you would need one gear with twice the number of teeth as the other one.

30/60 gear give less load on gear than 45/45 gear due "worm gear" properties who give smooth running between gears.

Latest posts

Back