Ford model t engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruben

Reaction score
Hello, good afternoon, does anyone know where I can get plans or measurements of the Ford model T engine parts?

thank you

I do have drawings made by the University of Idaho. Unfortunately, there are some errors in them that I will have to fix using Solidworks. Which means I have to learn Solidworks enough to make the changes. The good news is that Dwight Giles, one of the authors of the Black Widow V-8s is getting back to good health (at 92) and again wants to build the engine. So I have to get up to speed on Solidworks and get the pattern drawings ready for him to finish the partial block mold he started on 10 years ago. Fortunately, we do have a 'real' engine to work with.
No estimate about when this will get done. Yet.

I do have drawings made by the University of Idaho. Unfortunately, there are some errors in them that I will have to fix using Solidworks. Which means I have to learn Solidworks enough to make the changes. The good news is that Dwight Giles, one of the authors of the Black Widow V-8s is getting back to good health (at 92) and again wants to build the engine. So I have to get up to speed on Solidworks and get the pattern drawings ready for him to finish the partial block mold he started on 10 years ago. Fortunately, we do have a 'real' engine to work with.
You have the plans for these engine

Can you send me the plans

Mike:

I'm glad to hear you may be working on the model A project again. I would be extremely interested in the process Dwight uses to cast the intake and exhaust manifolds. I started my model A project (3/8 scale) in 2008 and got stuck at the intake manifold, I could not get a good casting.

Last year I bought a 3D printer. A friends grandson drew the manifolds in Solidworks and sent me the .stl files. I found a filament "Polycast" that is supposed to work like an investment casting. The bad news is, again I'm stumped. I've attempted several casts and I can't get the aluminum to flow around the core. We've increased the wall thickness from .065 to .100 and still the flow stops just short of completing. I've tried many things, taller sprue, more risers, higher temps, flux, different positions. About the only thing I haven't tried is a vacuum.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Bob Johnson

Mike:

I'm glad to hear you may be working on the model A project again. I would be extremely interested in the process Dwight uses to cast the intake and exhaust manifolds. I started my model A project (3/8 scale) in 2008 and got stuck at the intake manifold, I could not get a good casting.

Last year I bought a 3D printer. A friends grandson drew the manifolds in Solidworks and sent me the .stl files. I found a filament "Polycast" that is supposed to work like an investment casting. The bad news is, again I'm stumped. I've attempted several casts and I can't get the aluminum to flow around the core. We've increased the wall thickness from .065 to .100 and still the flow stops just short of completing. I've tried many things, taller sprue, more risers, higher temps, flux, different positions. About the only thing I haven't tried is a vacuum.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Bob Johnson

Perhaps Mike has some other ideas, but I have seen others use vacuum on thin aluminum castings, with success.
I don't think it needs to be a high vacuum, but just enough to help with the flow.
Put it on the far end away from the sprue.

Last edited:
Another option for creating complex thin walled parts is electroforming.
I wrote a post on it on this group a year or so ago.
The part would be in copper, but could of course be painted to give the desired appearance.

Pete.

You could think about getting the parts 3D printed in aluminium or stainless if you have the files, 0.065" wall should be OK

I say that when it comes out, send me where I can buy it and how many they are.

Back