Miniature Steam Engine Graham Industries VR1A Double Acting on live steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDobson

Reaction score
Miniature Steam Engine Graham Industries VR1A Double Acting on live steam from an orphan Jensen boiler and running a Baker Fan. I made a wooden plinth and routed it and put on a brass top and turned some brass bolts out of some hex rod. Also made and routed the wooden plinth for the engine and modified the fur pins holding it down with turned brass extensions. The reversing lever was also missing off this engine when I received off eBay so I turned that up which I think came up pretty good. The silicone hose is working out really well for using with assorted boilers and engines instead of copper tube which is always better with a permanent steam plant setup. The condensate collector I made from a cut down aluminium MAPP gas container planked with stained paddle pop sticks and brass bands.

Jim,
Glad you are enjoying the VR1A.
I designed the VR1A a little over 40 years ago and produced it for sale for about 20 years. I turned the manufacture and sales of it and other kits over to my son in 2000. He produced and sold the line of kits until 2022 when he ceased production and sales as he moved on to other business interests.
Gail in NM

Jim,
Glad you are enjoying the VR1A.
I designed the VR1A a little over 40 years ago and produced it for sale for about 20 years. I turned the manufacture and sales of it and other kits over to my son in 2000. He produced and sold the line of kits until 2022 when he ceased production and sales as he moved on to other business interests.
Gail in NM

G'day Gail,
Its really terrific to make your acquaintance.
On the many steam forums that I am, on it's often bemoaned the loss of your great engines no longer being available new (and when they turn up on eBay they are quickly snapped up).
If I may trouble you, it would be most appreciated.
I also have a HM1 bought second hand, its defeated all my efforts so far to run.
It came with the bag of extras/spares stapled to the instruction manual. I don't know if the previous owner ever had it running.
What would be your advice as to where to look for what could be the problem?
I've had the wonderfully little diminutive engine for around 2 years and get it out now and again to fiddle with to try and get it running, but as mentioned above alas so far with no joy.

Once again, terrific to make your acquaintance and thank you for the history of your design and your and your son's company.

20240907_105455_resized.jpg

20240907_105502_resized.jpg

20240907_105509_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back