Webster Build? Reaming vs. Milling the Side Frame and Crankshaft Support?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danuzzo

Reaction score
I am now at the stage of the Crankshaft holes in the side frame and support parts. The plans call for a 1/2" reamed hole. I don't have a 1/2" reamer. I intend to use bronze bearings in for the crankshaft holes. Asking if a 1/2" end mill could be substituted for a reamer. Actually, I am having difficulty understanding why a reamer is even necessary to properly fit bronze bearings for the crankshaft since the .313. bore in the bearings appears to be the important thing.

If you ar emaking the bearings yourself then you can size their 1/2" dimension to suite whatever size your plunged end mill produces which may come out a thou or two over 0.500"

If you opt for Oilite or similar sintere dbearing sthen they do need th ehole to be correctly sizes as the bor eis oversize as supplied but pressing them into a correctly sized hole will squeeze th ebor edown to spec.

If you ar emaking the bearings yourself then you can size their 1/2" dimension to suite whatever size your plunged end mill produces which may come out a thou or two over 0.500"

If you opt for Oilite or similar sintere dbearing sthen they do need th ehole to be correctly sizes as the bor eis oversize as supplied but pressing them into a correctly sized hole will squeeze th ebor edown to spec.
Thanks. Yes, intend to make my own out of C93200 Bearing Bronze.

Back