Webster Build Questions?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danuzzo

Reaction score
In a previous thread, I asked about which first i.c. engine I should attempt to build. I settled on the Webster. I also stated I would have questions, and would start another thread.

Well, I started to build the Webster, and have only gotten as far as the base plate with holes completed except threading of 2. I am trying to stick to the plans and specs. as much as possible, although the base it thicker than called for. In my previous thread, I posted questions on the ignition system. I have since done more research on ignition systems. My parameters on the ignition system is to be as frugal as possible. I am trying to build this with materials on hand which I have except the ignition system parts. Some good suggestions in my other thread, one of which was the Rcexl ignition. Other suggestions included building one. My electronics knowledge is very limited, so I would like something simple and inexpensive. The points, condenser, coil and battery system seem to be expensive.

I found this on Amazon (Rcexl) https://www.amazon.com/Rcexl-Automatic-Single-Ignition-6-14-4V/dp/B07R6RSX7K.

First of all, will this kit or a similar kit work? What other items would I need to complete the ignition system (besides spark plug)? Any other inexpensive solutions are welcome. In fact, I am hesitant to spend even the price of the Rcexl. The less money the better, in the event I build a non-runner, which would render any money I spend a waste.

I am not familiar with the Webster but if there is room for an ignition cam a points and coil system is an option. A 6 volt motorcycle coil and a set of points and condenser can be had for about $40 or so.

I have been running my Upshur farm engine with points and condenser, an old Ford coil and a 9.6 volt rechargeable RC car battery for 28 years and it still runs fine. I'm a car guy, so most of this stuff I had laying around.
Scott

Last edited:
Hi Danuzzo. To me the simplest and cheapest way is points and don’t get hung up on the brand. I see no reason that a set of lawn mower points wouldn’t work. For a coil just go to an wreckers and pick one. The Webster is a very forgiving engine. The one thing gives most people trouble (myself included) is making sure the valves seat.

My first IC was a Webster and I deviated from the plans a lot. But at it’s heart it's a Webster

6010 Done.JPG

Hi Danuzzo. To me the simplest and cheapest way is points and don’t get hung up on the brand. I see no reason that a set of lawn mower points wouldn’t work. For a coil just go to an wreckers and pick one. The Webster is a very forgiving engine. The one thing gives most people trouble (myself included) is making sure the valves seat.

My first IC was a Webster and I deviated from the plans a lot. But at it’s heart it's a Webster

View attachment 159698
Gorgeous engine.

As I posted the other day the $10 "Pulse generators" will do for a small engine like a Webster, just add a battery -Four AA or similar to give 6V. No unsightly automotive points or big coil so you can hide it all in the base for the engine. See my posts in this thread

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/end-of-an-electrical-era.36194/post-416522
That is certainly an attractive price. I looked at Ebay USA, and found this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115293748599

Is this similar to yours? What I would need in addition is a spark plug, and 6v worth of batteries; is that correct?

Thank you for the link to your other post. I did not come up with that thread in my search because I only was looking for "Webster".

Your fixed costs are a one time deal for ignition support. Thats would be your coil and battery, battery holder, wireing / connector leads/ switching. The every model built part is the sparkplugs and coil trigger device. For a single cyl. engine that's about 20-25 bucks. I use an EMGO 71532 universal coil, Tecumseh 30547A & 30548B points and condenser with a Chinese special 6V, AA battery box. I also have a 3-12V power supply for 120 wall plug convenience. I like the Tecumseh points for their compactness in tight mount positions. They wrap around the points trigger cam. Those CM6 spark plugs are killing everyone by price now but are the right scale to use with Webster.
Don't worry too much about being off size on the frame up parts. The engine doesn't care if the base is too broad or thick.

Your fixed costs are a one time deal for ignition support. Thats would be your coil and battery, battery holder, wireing / connector leads/ switching. The every model built part is the sparkplugs and coil trigger device. For a single cyl. engine that's about 20-25 bucks. I use an EMGO 71532 universal coil, Tecumseh 30547A & 30548B points and condenser with a Chinese special 6V, AA battery box. I also have a 3-12V power supply for 120 wall plug convenience. I like the Tecumseh points for their compactness in tight mount positions. They wrap around the points trigger cam. Those CM6 spark plugs are killing everyone by price now but are the right scale to use with Webster.
Don't worry too much about being off size on the frame up parts. The engine doesn't care if the base is too broad or thick.
Thanks for listing the part numbers. I looked them up, and yes the price is reasonable.

Last edited:
John,

HT lead to spark plug
Red lead to +ve battery
White wire that comes out the same end as the HT lead is ground to engine frame
White wire that comes out same end as red goes to an isolated contact. Circuit is made when a grounded rotating contact touches the isolated one.
Ground the battery -ve to the frame.

If you make the isolated contact so it can move then you have an easy way to advance and retard the engine timing.

A 9.0mm drill will also take care of the tapping hole for a plug with m10 x 1 thread such as the CM-6

Latest posts

Back