Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to another flying start then Pete - Looks great so far mate :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold
There's a long long road ahead, but if I dont think about it too much, it does not seem so bad :big:
Started on the Rocker stand today
SANY1956.jpg

SANY1957.jpg

SANY1958.jpg

SANY1959.jpg

Did a little on the Rockers today and I guess by now most of u will have guessed Ive got no idea at all what im doing :big:
I'm gunna have to just blunder on through and hope for the best !
I am making the rockers out of 5/16 key steel, The rockers have offset boss's.
Two lefts and two rights, but I only have a vague idea where they go so far :big:
SANY1964.jpg

SANY1966.jpg

Hi Bez
R u back yet mate?
Hi Dave
I think I started to find my footing today and got a little more done on the Rockers
SANY1969.jpg

SANY1970.jpg

SANY1971.jpg

Alright! That's looking like the drawing!

Keep it coming Mad.... :bow:

Dave

Thanks Dave
With any luck ill get em finished tomorrow.
The only hex I have at the moment is steel, so I'm tossing up doing the adjusters in that with the 1/8 welding rod for the shafts.
its softer then steel but seems harder then bronze.

OK I'm nearly finished the Rockers, just the pushrod holes and some cosmetic stuff to do now
but guys, every hole I drilled today went off center!
One of those days I guess :big:
I'm thinking of hardening them, which would give me the chance to use what my mate Bez made for me.
Its a diesel burner for a casting furnice
its good to have mates ;D
SANY1973.jpg

SANY1974.jpg

SANY1975.jpg

Hi Pete, Looks like you are making good progress on your Wallaby. I can tell you're having alot of fun with your machines. Dave

Ahh
Another One
Mate that is :big:
Thanks Dave, When will we see your next Build buddy?

I bought two 10 mm Sparkplugs today and am having second thoughts, cos they are huge, compared to the plugs ive made for my other engines.
Pity, I drilled and threaded the holes :-\
I may have stuffed up here :(
The plans call for 3/8, so I hope the 10 mm ones dont look out of place!
SANY1978.jpg

Hi Pete, you could make an insert to reduce the thread to 1/4-32 out of steel. This would allow your threads to live longer. I am always afraid of stripping the threads in aluminum although most of my engines are made the same as yours.
My wife has expressed interest in machining lately so we started an Elmers Scotty for her. She is doing quite well and is about half way finished with it. We are both enjoying the experience and it is nice to have someone to share the shop with. I will have her post the photos when finished. We are making 2 so she can see me make the components on the first one and then she makes hers. She will probably give one away and keep the other.
As for getting on with another build from me, I have way to much work around the house to get done yet. I try to get something done during the day while my wifes at work then when she gets home we go to the shop to work on her project. I'm going to have her watch me when I get going on my next build but we need to finish hers first. I like having someone show an interest in what I do in the shop and she helps me clean too. It won't be long now but it seems like when I get one project finished another pops up. When the weather turns bad I will be back in the shop full time. Dave

metalmad said:
Pity, I drilled and threaded the holes :-\

Hi Pete

I notice the bought plugs have a huge hex on them, you could still make some nice small plugs with a 10mm thread.

After all your getting pretty good at making spark plugs :bow:

Bez

Hope u know what u are doing Dave.
I don't let my Wife anywhere near my Shed :big: :big:
Thanks Bez
I may end up making smaller plugs guys, but I recon its a little early to worry about which sparkplug its gunna use.
I may find that once the exhaust pipe goes over the top of the plugs, these look OK.
Anyway today I drilled out and started milling the water jackets.
As I mentioned before they will never be seen again so I'm just going functional!
Pete
SANY1998.jpg

SANY2000.jpg

Pete,

As Bez suggests, those plugs could be shaved down a great deal.

Just make yourself an arbor to go in the lathe with a 10mm thread up the spout and you could remove all that metal down to below the hex, leaving just a plain portion.

You only need a couple of small flats for a spanner to tighten on and the rest you could decorate as you wish.

I doubt very much whether you could weaken it enough for an engine of this size to cause you pressure problems, and it would look a lot better scale.

John

Hi Bogs
I had a go at turning down one of the plugs today and it looked OK so, Me being Me I could not help but take even more off the next one !
Pity there is no metal in those huge plugs.
I made a Valve guide to console myself :big:
SANY2006.jpg

It was not until I made a valve guide that I realised the recess in the top plate is to connect water jackets and for the guide boss to sit in.
I think I'm right anyway :big:
SANY2007.jpg

SANY2008.jpg

Oh! dear, sorry about suggesting that. I thought that maybe take the hex off, and put a couple of small flats to replace it.

But just think about what you have done, you have shown everyone that you shouldn't take too much metal off, and we all now know what a plug looks like in the inside. So two lessons in one.

It is a shame you don't live a little closer, I could let you have a replacement half dozen new 10mm plugs as I have just sold my Goldwing, and they are left over in my back storage room.

John

No worries Bogs :)
The whole thing was too big to look right anyway
I may go down the Bike shop and check what the honda plugs look like, but I think ill be happer with my own homemade plugs.
At this stage in the build its not really an issue anyway
Pete

Latest posts

Back