USS MONITOR SIDE LEVER ENGINE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't accomplished a lot of machining today. Repaired my South Bend 9 b lathe with the info supplied by HMEL.
Then after that was completed, I check the fit of previous machine parts that was finish this week.

DSC00006.JPG

Part # 46-CRANK ROD BEARING END x 2 completed
Part # 47-CON-ROD x 2 completed
Part # 48-CON-ROD YOKE x 2 completed
Part # 49-CON-ROD YOKE PIN x 2 completed

Improving doing single point threading on the lathe, it's not as intimidating as when I started this project. :eek:
Not to happy the way Part # 46 turnout, may need to remachine two new ones ? :confused:

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

The majority of my Labor Day weekend was spent working in the workshop, with the exception of Sunday when I spent time with my granddaughter and family.

Part # 53-ECCENTRIC STRAP x 2 completed
Part # 54-ECCENTRIC STRAP EXTENSION x 2 completed
Part # 56-ECCENTRIC ROD END x 2 completed

DSC00015.JPGDSC00016.JPG
To finish Part #-55-ECCENTRIC ROD and Part #61-SLIDE VALVE ROD, I need to acquire some 1/8" rod.
Thanks for taking a peak. :cool:

Acquire some 1/8" dia. rod over the week end so ....
Part # 55-ECCENTRIC ROD x 2 completed
Part # 61-SLIDE VALVE ROD x 2 completed
Part # 66-LH-VALVE ROCKER PLATE PIN completed
Part # 67-RH-VALVE ROCKER PLATE PIN completed
Part # 68-RH-VALVE ROCKER PLATE PIN SPACER completed
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00019.JPG

The excitement is escalating. I am eagerly anticipating seeing this engine run for the first time.
DSC00018.JPG

Yes, there were 60 Monitors built , but there were many changes .
None were identical to USS Monitor however. When the battle was over, the US Navy immediately ordered 10 more (called the Passaic Class) -They had rounded lower hulls ( Monitor was flat and straight like a dory) and were slightly longer and the engine"s valve chest was changed to make casting easier. The next group (s) after the 10 were even larger engines as were the ships as they mounted two turrets as the Navy redesigned the ships and did not consult with John Ericsson. The last ten were disasters and could not even float and support a turret. Ericsson was a master of water displacement calculations and the Navy disregarded his input and those last ones never saw service. There was only one true Monitor in size, engine configuration and cannon size. Monitor had two 11 inch Dahlgrens and the later ones had both 11 and 15 inch cannon or just 15 inch
Rich

Yes, there were 60 Monitors built , but there were many changes .
None were identical to USS Monitor however. When the battle was over, the US Navy immediately ordered 10 more (called the Passaic Class) -They had rounded lower hulls ( Monitor was flat and straight like a dory) and were slightly longer and the engine"s valve chest was changed to make casting easier. The next group (s) after the 10 were even larger engines as were the ships as they mounted two turrets as the Navy redesigned the ships and did not consult with John Ericsson. The last ten were disasters and could not even float and support a turret. Ericsson was a master of water displacement calculations and the Navy disregarded his input and those last ones never saw service. There was only one true Monitor in size, engine configuration and cannon size. Monitor had two 11 inch Dahlgrens and the later ones had both 11 and 15 inch cannon or just 15 inch
Rich
is tere any way to find out more about the engines?

Latest posts

Back