True Rotary Vane Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruf0. I may be wrong.... but.
25 years ago, I worked in Engine Design for a major car company. One of my tasks was to respond to approaches from individuals who had ideas they were looking to sell. One was a supposedly working wooden engine - because he could not make it in metal - that was a large circumference multiple vane engine a almost exactly like yours. When I asked him to explain the pressure difference that developed drive from the high pressure from combustion, he got a friend, a teacher to prepare some calculations - just like your description at comment #11.
But the calculations proved the engine would not work. The pressure difference from a number of chambers opposing sides of different length was innadequate to overcome the friction required for sealing the sliding vanes, when considering the pressure differences across each "power" vane.... and provide adequate torque for the compression phase...
But my 25 year old memory may be wrong?
Curiously, the original patent we found relating to this type of engine was 19th c. And it hasn't ever reached production, despite many people trying. I think Doctor WanKel started from this and developed his engine as a result....
Have you any calculations, or estimates of forces on vanes?
Maybe you'll be the first to make a running engine?
Good luck!
K2

You may want to look at something called the "quasiturbine" .

They have been talking about this wee beastie for probably close to 20 years.
No takes for buying the technology though - - - maybe because it would be fiddly to build - - dunno.
Might get some ideas - - - - dunno - - - - ???

HTH

The Wankel problem is sealing on the side faces and the walls of the chamber that creates the volume change. Thermal expansion of the hot rotor that can not be cooled to the housing temperatures and the vanes will always run hotter still. The "Liquid Piston" (flip of the Wankel) is even worse since the inside of the rotor is the exhaust port. The rotor of a vane engine can have cooling that flows into and out of the rotor so it can have the best cooling possible, least thermal expansion problems, thus tighter clearances.

Understand the the burning of the fuel happens in a short sweep of angle, guess 30 deg. So there will be leakage into the chamber not yet ignited. The leakage will ignite the mixture before it reaches the expansion portion of the sweep. Leakage into the pervious more expanded burned chamber is of no consequence. So the number of vanes is determined by how much pre-ignition is acceptable.

Vane design for sealing, go look at the Wankel seals in detail. If I remember they are three major pieces. to push the smaller seals for the sided outward. This is done by the center vane or the two side vanes being thinner so that it can push on the taper on the side vanes forcing them against the side. Springs and using the high pressure combustion gas to push the van against it's slot to seal that leak path. Alternatively the center vane has 'v' sides and the side seals are two pieces or 'W; shaped with the top of the "W" solid so at that end is the width of the center vane. It is a spring where in the free state the three pieces is wider then the chamber width of the housing. This I believe is the Wankel approach. Springs push the vane against the housing to start. And lubrication of the vane come from the bottom of the slot for each vane. Leakage at the chamber wall is going to happen because the slop relative to the vane changes.

One problem unique to vane engine is the high bending load put on the vane since it sticks out much further then on a Wankel and 'Liquid Piston' engines.

Attachments

• Omaga engine.PNG
    Omaga engine.PNG
    543.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back