Saw stop debate.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of the old blowers had spring load primary blower wheels. When they clogged with slush and such, they would stall with the springs on the shaft well compressed....when someone put their hand in and cleared the blockage, they would let go and the primary blower wheel would spin part of a turn...but that was enough to take some fingers off.

Always have a piece of broom handle just for those occasions......

Dave

yep had a friend hurt his hand that way . His employer was very unhappy with him even thought the injury was at home . He lost lots off work time.
I saw a blower the other day that had an aluminum holder on the side for a piece of broom handle no reason for it not to be handy.
Tin

I firmly believe that the more "features" a machine has to ensure your safety, the more people there are that get injured or killed because they think that they are protected by the latest in safety technology. When people think that they are protected they become complacent and even reckless in their behavior around such machines. A perfect example is the HS students that purposely "try out" the 'Saw Stop' by touching the side of the blade. Let's face it, fingers should not be anywhere near that blade when it is running, period.

More proof that as mankind advances his technology, he inversely becomes more stupid as well.

Rant off.

terrywerm said:
More proof that as mankind advances his technology, he inversely becomes more stupid as well.

Hmm. Mankind getting more stupid. Nope, try as I may, I can't envision that. I'm pretty sure he's bottomed out right now. From here on it's just detail refinement and adding bling.

There are some interesting studies about risk taking with respect to driving and enhanced safety like air bags and ABS.

Basically they found risk taking goes up as perceived danger goes down.

I personally like a like a little danger. keeps me on my toes.

Just heard this on the radio (NPR).

The whirlwind system can be retrofit to any saw according to the website and it even blows away saw dust. It can be simply reset so no costly down time or replacement parts. http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

I want one for my table saw.

Dan

Latest posts

Back