Replacing with Brush or Brushless DC motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mihai,
It does look the same as mine, except for the wattage. (Irrelevant for operating instructions).
So simple to use.
  • On-Off is just that. Starts and stops rotation. I use it when the speed is set and I am repeatedly starting and stopping the lathe making multiple cuts and don't want to be fiddling with speed variation, e.g. when stopping to check sizes with micrometer, etc.
  • Speed control knob. When I first get going, this is set fully turned to the left when I switch ON. Then I rotate it to the right, until it first starts rotation. As long as the rotation is in the right direction, (I.E. I haven't left it going the wrong way!) then I increase speed to the desired speed and leave it at that. My experience is that "pots" wear out faster than main toggle switches(?), so use the ON-OFF to start and stop the lathe.
  • If I want reverse the Green button reverses direction. Set lathe running at the slowest speed. Press Green and it will stop, the start in reverse direction under factory set conditions.
Beyond that I have not fiddled with controls, but know the Top button increases the speed - above regular to speed if you wish? - and the bottom button slows the speed. - But I use the rotary knob.

That's about as far as I use it. - It is as simple as I need.
K2

Hi Steamchick,
Thank you for your advice! I have already downloaded and re-read your tutorial related to lathe integration of this servo-motor and I find it very useful!
I have also found a manual which I will attach to my post. I must stress that the manual is for a similar motor and the meaning of programming IDs and ranges could be different compared to our motors.
Although, what I kept in mind is that motor should be factory programmed with very conservative (average) parameters, so I have the confidence to free-run it without trouble.

Attachments

• zoje-zj550w-energy-saving-motor-instruction-book.pdf
    737.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Steamchick,
Thank you for your advice! I have already downloaded and re-read your tutorial related to lathe integration of this servo-motor and I find it very useful!
I have also found a manual which I will attach to my post. I must stress that the manual is for a similar motor and the meaning of programming IDs and ranges could be different compared to our motors.
Although, what I kept in mind is that motor should be factory programmed with very conservative (average) parameters, so I have the confidence to free-run it without trouble.
I like screw driver slot for adjusting and swith
The programing is so must fun with hours spent pull hair .

Dave

My 550W motor has arrived. I will not hurry to install it as I just have cleaned and checked my lathe and it is still going strong.
I will take my time to prepare mounting bracket and pulley.
On another hand my instructions are in Chinese only so I have to check for English version or some tutorials.

Mihai

View attachment 159488
My 700 W sewing machine motor is put on a 210 300 lathe.
I use the sewing machine foot speed regulato as very slow control for running directio and the run of pre-prorogramed speed and very,very fast stop if need be.
Speed comand is a Hall sensor with near indefinite life.

Attachments

• WP_20240906_002[1].jpg
    WP_20240906_002[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • WP_20240906_004[1].jpg
    WP_20240906_004[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Niels,
Thank you!
Actually I have just run my motor. The only complain (half complain) is that on motor it is written 200-6500rpm and in first test maximum displayed was 3000rpm, so less than half. Off course it can be adjusted through programming, but anyhow my enjoyed range on lathe (excluding minimum rpm operations) is 800-1200rpm, which anyway is in current field. Effectively I have obtained 158-3000rpm on motor shaft (as shown on controller).

Kind regards,
Mihai

Last edited:
Small updates, small problems.
I have run the motor again; yes Steamchick, pressing + increases motor speed up to 4500rpm which seem to be set from factory as max. I think this limit can be changed through programming - if needed- up to declared 6000rpm. In this condition (+ to the max) the range adjusted through potentiometer is 148-4500rpm. I have also tested reverse and is running OK.
Now, the problem of logistic nature (if I exclude the MAN :).
My motor is according this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.21ef1802tUN6fa

I look back now at Steamchick's and notice the difference, but then -when I have ordered- the price was soo good and in the night all cats are black.
So, my engine seems to have 100x100mm face plate (actually 102x102), while Steamchick's seem to be 80x80mm.
This means I will have some problems. Possibly my motor won't fit in place of the old one. So I'll have to re-think my mounting plate and possibly need another belt.
Funny!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back