My version of a Die Filer From Bar Stock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend, I took a break from machining the USS MONITOR type steam engine and created a die filer for myself.
The parts are now prepared to be powder coated.
DSC00023.JPG

My version of a Die Filer From Bar Stock.
Except for the table top, it was cast from scrap aluminum in my small home foundry.
DSC00021.JPG

All Powder coated and assemble.
DSC00025.JPG

Here I am displaying it next to my homemade micro drill press in this image. Ready to do some work. :)
DSC00026.JPG

Looks nice, we need more info on it. Iike the drill press as well. Do you have a build log?

Do you happen to have a set of prints for the filer? Looks like a great design.
I regret to inform you that I did not have a drawing for the filer. However, by consulting some pictures of die filers, analyzing what other people have done, and examining what I had in my metal pile, I was able to put it all together. Thank you for the kind compliment Hockeypuck1958.

Last edited:
Looks nice, we need more info on it. Iike the drill press as well. Do you have a build log?
Thank you melw44, You can find more info on the drill press at
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/a-micro-drill-press.35630/
As for the filer, I did not have a drawing to work from. By consulting some pictures of die filers and analyzing what other people have done, I was able to put it all together.

Edit:
If there are enough people who are interested in this build, I will make every effort to provide some drawings.
Please be aware I am not a draftsmen or a machinist just a hobbyist playing a machinist.

Last edited:
Thank you melw44, You can find more info on the drill press at
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/a-micro-drill-press.35630/
As for the filer, I did not have a drawing to work from. By consulting some pictures of die filers and analyzing what other people have done, I was able to put it all together.

Edit:
If there are enough people who are interested in this build, I will make every effort to provide some drawings.
Please be aware I am not a draftsmen or a machinist just a hobbyist playing a machinist.
I would definitely be interested in some type of drawings or sketches. It looks like the perfect size for the type of work I would do.

I recently purchased an old Rockwell scroll saw. In the process of fixing it up I discovered that this type of saw was made to be used as a die filer also. You just remove the blade and the top blade chuck and clamp a file in the bottom chuck. These machines are great saws also and can be had for not a lot of money and used parts are available on ebay.

Attachments

• 1726624117237.png
    1726624117237.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
I was giving Fusion 360 ago to see if I can produce a good drawing that would be useful for your use,.
This is what I have come up with so far for the die filer. Please let me know if they are useful or not.

Attachments

• Die Filler v2.dwg
    211 KB · Views: 0
I was giving Fusion 360 ago to see if I can produce a good drawing that would be useful for your use,.
This is what I have come up with so far for the die filer. Please let me know if they are useful or not.
Is this 3D? Opening in my phone viewer shows only what looks like a front view. I will have to open on my PC to see if there is more. If it is 3d you might be better off uploading the fusion file or a step export.

Can't download and when I try to open it well - - - - its not a format that produces anything that I can see.

This weekend, I took a break from machining the USS MONITOR type steam engine and created a die filer for myself.
The parts are now prepared to be powder coated.
View attachment 159737

My version of a Die Filer From Bar Stock.
Except for the table top, it was cast from scrap aluminum in my small home foundry.
View attachment 159738

All Powder coated and assemble.
View attachment 159740

Here I am displaying it next to my homemade micro drill press in this image. Ready to do some work. :)
View attachment 159741
Great looking filer. I'm in the process of building one, much like you, look at this one, look at that one, and modify everything to fit my fantasies (needs, material on hand!). What did you use for a motor??
Thanks, Jon K

Thanks; I don't have AutoCAD so can't open directly; however, MacDarft will open DWG & DXF:

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 12.52.45 PM.png

As you can see, it opens but un-dimensioned it doesn't do much for me (and there are errors with the import). I can get DWG's converted to PDF's by the folks at my old job, but would prefer only to give them the final version so I don't wear out my welcome.

Thanks again, Charlie

Thanks; I don't have AutoCAD so can't open directly; however, MacDarft will open DWG & DXF:

View attachment 159779
As you can see, it opens but un-dimensioned it doesn't do much for me (and there are errors with the import). I can get DWG's converted to PDF's by the folks at my old job, but would prefer only to give them the final version so I don't wear out my welcome.

Thanks again, Charlie
I apologize for that, give this one a go.

Attachments

• Die Filler Drawing .pdf
    289.8 KB · Views: 0
Great looking filer. I'm in the process of building one, much like you, look at this one, look at that one, and modify everything to fit my fantasies (needs, material on hand!). What did you use for a motor??
Thanks, Jon K
High Torque geared DC motor . I have had it on the shelf collecting dust ever since I retired from mentoring a first robotics team back in the 90s. Works great, you can find them on line at AliExpress.

Back