Monotube Flash Boiler Design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it did not zap you.

Would a fly back work?

Yes, a flyback transformer would also work,...but I don't have one of those in my spare parts box either. So, I'ld need to order a flyback and incur the same week to 10 day shipping delay. Having a short inside the coil's insulation is pretty rare,...hopefully it's a one-time occurrence for me.

Yes, a flyback transformer would also work,...but I don't have one of those in my spare parts box either. So, I'ld need to order a flyback and incur the same week to 10 day shipping delay. Having a short inside the coil's insulation is pretty rare,...hopefully it's a one-time occurrence for me.
If it happens again, the old school neon sign transformers work well.

Shortly after typing my last post where I mentioned how rare it is to have coil wires inside a transformer develop a short, I remembered that I never had a problem with the coils (aka transformers) on the two previous high voltage boards, which suffered shorts on the high voltage circuit boards, but the coils were undamaged. So I dug through my spare parts box, and lucky me, the coils on the dead circuit boards were the same as the shorted coil. I was able to replace the shorted bad coil with a good one from the bad circuit board, and now my ignitor board is back up and working :)

So out to the test stand to make a little steam.

Well, a little steam was all I could get. The burner flame keeps going out periodically, causing an auto re-start sequence. So, I'm sitting in front of my computer trying to understand why this is happening.

I've got some ideas,...so back to the test stand for a little investigation.

Problem found and fixed :) A tiny, nearly invisible tear developed in the silicone tube I use for the fuel line, and because the fuel is sucked into the fuel nozzle via venturi effect, and not forced into the nozzle by a fuel pump, air was being sucked into the fuel line through the tiny tear, creating air bubbles in the line which, upon reaching the fuel nozzle, cause the burner flame to go out. Sometimes, it's the littlest things that cause the biggest headaches.

Problem found and fixed :) A tiny, nearly invisible tear developed in the silicone tube I use for the fuel line, and because the fuel is sucked into the fuel nozzle via venturi effect, and not forced into the nozzle by a fuel pump, air was being sucked into the fuel line through the tiny tear, creating air bubbles in the line which, upon reaching the fuel nozzle, cause the burner flame to go out. Sometimes, it's the littlest things that cause the biggest headaches.
Nice catch!

Latest posts

Back