Injected Diesel 56cc 2 Stroke, Will it ever work?"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lloyd, I really admire your work!
I have a question for what might seem a potential issue, unless -of course - is not the complete design; which I believe is the case.
The link between cylinder liner and crank case, as seen in the picture, looks not that rigid and prone to cyclic bending during engine run. Will you add more reinforcements?
The nice part of any project is that only the owner has the final image of how it will look like. And it's a mix between design concept and methods to reach there.

I agree with you. Those 2 plates are 5mm 6061-T6 aluminum, but I think they will flex during operation. To fix that, there will be a cover plate with a flange machined into it such that screws will come thru the existing angled plates, into the cover plate, and lock the structure securely together. That plate will pilot over the snout of the crankshaft and support the bearings for the gear train. The gear train will have the main gear on the crankshaft, then up to an idler gear, then up thru another gear on the end of the camshaft on the right, then across to the left to the balance shaft, then again to the left to drive the roots blower at 2x overdrive. The location of the camshaft and the balance shaft will be a mirror image of each other, but will rotate in opposite directions. The camshaft and balance shaft will both have eccentric counterweights. The timing of the cam and balance shaft weights will be such that when the crankshaft counterweights are at the very bottom, the cam and balance shaft counterweights will be at the top. The crankshaft, camshaft, and balance shaft all rotate at the speed. That is how the 1-71 Detroit Diesel manual describes it, so I think it will work.
Thanks, Lloyd

(snip and high-lights by Lloyd)................................
The nice part of any project is that only the owner has the final image of how it will look like. And it's a mix between design concept and methods to reach there.

I was re-reading some posts and looked at your last sentence again in post #260. That is so true! 😍 When we have limitations in the tools and materials in our home shops, sometimes the "methods" play a much stronger role in the project. And sometimes the "method" is getting a tool to do something that it was never designed to do. Excellent observation.
Lloyd

Latest posts

Back