High pressure pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing !! Sludge-Kat can pump 2.5" diameter nuts, bolts, and rocks!!

That thud sound you heard was me falling out of my chair !!

I was looking for a hydraulic plunger pump video I had seen where they used a simple double detent kit on a spool valve. Each time the hydraulic cylinder got to the end of its stroke it hit the valve lever flipping it and reversing it's self. Couldn't find that but I found this beast.

I wanna see one in action and I really want to know how those ball valves hold up! What a ridiculously beefy beast.

I too had to pick myself back up, especially after I saw the ball valves!

Progressive cavity pumps have been around oil field service for a long time, both surface & downhole. Downhole sand cuts can be ~35% within oil/water fluid emulsion. But I don't think anywhere near those target discharge pressures. I believe as the solids content & particle size reduces, higher pressures per stage can increase, for example more homogeneous slurries or minor particulates within a predominant water or oil fluid stream. But replicating theses in model engineering scale would require some resources. Both the rotor & stator are funky 3D shape & the stator is a designed elastomer with specific properties.

1719720442281.png

I don't really know what I am writing about, but have a notion that slurries and grain, etc. are often raised very high to fill silos from the top - so the pressure of the column is managed by a screw pump?
My only experience of a "screw pump" was plastic and elastomer extruders in cable manufacture. But in those the fluid was melted plastic, or uncured elastomers. The work of the pump on the fluid actually raised the temperature - enough to melt plastics, etc., or for things like PTFE, etc. that do not melt, hot enough and with enough pressure to sinter the material.
But never anything with lumps of rock or nuts and bolts, etc.!
I always assumed concrete pumps were essentially Archimedes screw types...? - Wrongly it seems!
K2

I don't really know what I am writing about, but have a notion that slurries and grain, etc. are often raised very high to fill silos from the top - so the pressure of the column is managed by a screw pump?
My only experience of a "screw pump" was plastic and elastomer extruders in cable manufacture. But in those the fluid was melted plastic, or uncured elastomers. The work of the pump on the fluid actually raised the temperature - enough to melt plastics, etc., or for things like PTFE, etc. that do not melt, hot enough and with enough pressure to sinter the material.
But never anything with lumps of rock or nuts and bolts, etc.!
I always assumed concrete pumps were essentially Archimedes screw types...? - Wrongly it seems!
K2
Grain is moved by elevator buckets, but on the horizontal moved by screws, they can be a very dangerous system to be around. In waste treatment plants you can often find Archimedes screws. Spiral fluted pumps are used to compress products to a higher pressure. The spiral narrows at the exit point. The largest lift on an elevator I have seen was used in a coal mine. 400 feet straight up. For inert materials such as coal ash compressed air or vacumn systems are often used. Concrete can indeed be moved with a screw type pump but for high pressure piston systems are used. That is if you want to go a few stories up or seal off a oil well. Been around most of these systems. You can spend a great deal of time and labor dealing with material handling issues.

Latest posts

Back