Formulas for calculating the bore and stroke of a diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruben

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know if there is a formula to calculate what diameter and stroke a diesel engine should have with a compression ratio of 20 to 1 or with a compression value of 25 bars.

For an engine with a 1" diameter bore, the area of the top of the piston is pie-r-squared, so 0.785 sq.in.

Assuming a clearance of 1/16", then the volume at TDC would be 0.04906 cu.in.

For a 20:1 ratio, then the volume at BDC would be 0.98125 cu.in.

So 1.25" stroke.

My math is off somewhere.
Somebody help me.

ti-so-nen-3.jpg

Compression ratio depends on 2 factors: r (radius) and h (length)
There are 2 types of h: h1 is the piston stroke and h2 is the combustion chamber
If you choose compression ratio 20:1
From there you calculate the ratio of h1 and h2
If you choose h1 stroke then you can calculate h2 and vice versa
Note - the combustion chamber is not cylindrical so to calculate its volume you have to measure everywhere or you can measure it by filling the combustion chamber with liquid and measuring the volume of liquid in the combustion chamber

My "Hansen" Diesel has a stroke of 40mm, and a head space at TDC of 2mm, so ~20:1, diameter doesn't factor in, its that simple :) !!! (technically its 42:2, but 40:2 is close enough for gov't work !)

My math is off somewhere.
Somebody help me.

Using your example which assumes the combustion chamber is perfectly cylindrical, the CR calculates to 21. Bore & Pi drop out of the equation so you can get the same CR value just knowing stroke (s) & clearance (h) using CR=(s+h)/h. But typically combustion chamber is domed or angled or otherwise 'non-cylindrical' so you have to compute or otherwise measure its actual volume Vc & use formula CR=(Vd+Vc)/Vc

1726848094080.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

(for the simplified cylindrical combustion chamber example only!) if you know CR and stroke (s), h can be determined using h =s/(CR-1).
1726849945739.png

But for a 'non-cylindrical' head it becomes a convergence type solution. Example Vc was measured directly at 0.080 in3. Stroke was iterated until the target CR of 15.0 was achieved using the same CR formula. Similarly you could define the stroke & vary the bore to converge.
1726850850883.png

Last edited:
This is one of Find Hansen's videos.
He lists a bore of 20mm, and a stroke of 40 mm, with a compression ratio of 21:1.

Obviously the clearance volume is going to have a big affect on compression ratio, and I seem to recall seeing that diesels had a relatively small clearance space.

I will see if I can match his numbers somehow.

My "Hansen" Diesel has a stroke of 40mm, and a head space at TDC of 2mm, so ~20:1, diameter doesn't factor in, its that simple :) !!! (technically its 42:2, but 40:2 is close enough for gov't work !)
Seems like you are mixing your units.
You are making a ratio between length in mm and volume in cubic mm.
I think it would need to be a comparison between two cubic volumes in order to calculate the ratio of minimum to maximum pressure, which I think is the definition of compression ratio ?

Edit:
Or I guess you are saying a head clearance of 2mm, not a volume, so never mind; I am a bit confused, as usual.

Last edited:
Looking at the two extremes, in one ideal case, where there is no clearance, the pressure will approach infinity as the piston approaches TDC.
In the other extreme, as the cylinder becomes infinitely long, the pressure approaches zero; ie: no compression is taking place.

I seem to recall that diesels use a relatively long stroke, with associated slower maximum rpm that a square engine, ie: a square engine having a bore that equaled the stroke.

Looking at a Detroit Diesel 671 engine, the displacement per cylinder is 70.93 cu in, with a 4.25" bore, and a 5" stroke, 18.7 : 1 compression ratio.
This is not nearly as long a stroke as I had thought was used.

So with a diesel, the key is the air inside the cylinder being compressed to the point where it reached the ignition temperature of diesel fuel; recalling the old thermo class days, and the PV=mrt forumla (I think is the correct forumula, or ballpark thereof).

So perhaps we can use the 671 data and work backwards to see what the clearance would have had to have been at TDC to get 18.7 : 1, and reach the ignition temperature required.

Obviously as the clearance goes down, the pressure and compression ratio go up.

So if Peter's forumula is correct, then a Detroit 671 would have a head clearance of 0.267", which seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Working it as a volume comparision, the total volume at BDC with a 0.267" head clearance would be 74.68 cu in.

At TDC, the volume with a 0.267" head clearance (assuming a flat head and a flat piston top, to simplify things) would be 3.7857 cu in.

The ratio would be 74:68/3.7857 = 19.7 : 1

So pretty close to 18.7 : 1, but slightly off.

Hello, I would like to know if there is a formula to calculate what diameter and stroke a diesel engine should have with a compression ratio of 20 to 1 or with a compression value of 25 bars.

I am not sure about the 25 bar, but the answer seems to be to compare the stroke to the head clearance.

The simplified s & h formulas only apply when Vc & Vd are represented as cylindrical cans. A flat top piston meets this criteria & is easy to calculate. But many combustion chambers are not shaped like simple cylindrical cans in real life, so you have to get a handle on actual volume, either measured or computed, and compute CR on that basis. The combustion chamber could be domed or asymmetrically curved in cross section. Valve faces would be a flat surfaces, maybe semi-flush or maybe slightly submerged. Ignition plugs affect volume with clearance or protuberance. The piston top may not be a simple flat or match the head section profile entirely for various reasons. The higher the CR, the more sensitive even tiny dimensional changes to head features become. I seem to recall on certain RC engines, the difference in a glow plug washer thickness was worth 0.5 CR or thereabouts.

1726874413919.png

Latest posts

Back