Fed up with a flimsy bench grinder tool rest.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received a new to me bench grinder the other day from my next-door neighbor. 😁
I tried to use it to grind some HSS tooling; that was fun (not) with the supplied tool rest. 😤
After spending some time looking on YouTube and Google what others have done, then I check The
old metal bin, and behold This weekend's project is my version of a tool rest. 🤔

Attachments

• Bench Grinder Tool Rest Sample dwg.pdf
    213 KB
Well, I had a productive day today in spite of the high humidity and more rain here in central Florida.
I machined all the main parts and had a dry test run on the bench grinder.
Scrap the idea of using a Knurled-Head Thumb Screw. I can not get them tight enough by hand
And they vibrate loose. 😞 I need a better idea. Using socket head screws for now. Any suggestions ? 🤔
DSC00028.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

P.S. The bench grinder on the left has a tool rest that I made years ago, copy from Uncle Dave Gingery Shop Notes Book 1.

Last edited:
Well, I had a productive day today in spite of the high humidity and more rain here in central Florida.
I machined all the main parts and had a dry test run on the bench grinder.
Scrap the idea of using a Knurled-Head Thumb Screw. I can not get them tight enough by hand
And they vibrate loose. 😞 I need a better idea. Using socket head screws for now. Any suggestions ? 🤔View attachment 159925

View attachment 159927

P.S. The bench grinder on the left has a tool rest that I made years ago, copy from Uncle Dave Gingery Shop Notes Book 1.

maybe weld some tabs on the socket head cap screw top so you have a largish wing nut but that might be problematic in some locations.
Another option would be to use nylock nuts (nylon insert nuts) to regulate the actual 'tightness'.

Thank you for info handy to know, but for this project they are to big to expensive (to metric 🙃).
maybe weld some tabs on the socket head cap screw top so you have a largish wing nut but that might be problematic in some locations.

I came up with almost the same idea, using socket head screw with wing nuts and loctite. It's working so far.

Thank you for info handy to know, but for this project they are to big to expensive (to metric 🙃).
They also make them in UNC sizes, and while not cheap the unit cost goes down significantly with higher quantities (also going to the source in China vis eBay is far less expensive than buying name brand in the U.S., and are excellent quality).

The proof of the pudding is in the eating here in America we say, the proof is in the pudding.
I say eureka it's the best thing since slice bread it works.
DSC00036.JPG

DSC00037.JPG

I like it - - - - I see you also find more than 1 useful - - - grin.

You have any diamond wheels or cbn?
Thank you. I have a green (CBN) and wire wheel that I plan to permanently place on my old grinder, but no diamond wheels as of yet. :)

The proof of the pudding is in the eating here in America we say, the proof is in the pudding.
I say eureka it's the best thing since slice bread it works.
View attachment 159956
View attachment 159957

Thank you. I have a green (CBN) and wire wheel that I plan to permanently place on my old grinder, but no diamond wheels as of yet. :)

Diamond wheels allow one to put a very nice shape to cemented carbide tooling - - - so if you don't use that - - - you won't need the wheel.

Back