1/4 Scale 1895 St. Joseph Iron Works veneer lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike N

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all started last fall when I saw this old veneer lathe at LeSeur Pioneer Power show in Southern Minnesota. I wanted to add another implement for my 1/3rd Scale Case Steam Engine to demonstrate at Antique Tractor shows. DSCN6437.JPGDSCN6474.JPG

Last edited:
I will post a video once I get time to fire up the Steam Engine and make some veneer. I have change gears on the feed drive so I can make veneer from .057" - .085" thickness.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMiXF3wZcqtnLEVk6

This video was taken early on just to see if it would work! The log was big tooth aspen. It can handle 13" diameter logs 18" long. This will yield approximately 250 lineal ft. of veneer.

Last edited:
I am impressed with this project and your abilities to get it made. There definitely will be lots of things to watch when it is running.

Congratulations on accomplishing this and Thank You for posting it for us to see.

--ShopShoe

That is a most impressive piece of equipment, and so well done !
Fantastic.
My family was in the hardwood lumber business for over 100 years, and they would be most impressed with that machine.

Latest posts

Back