What Are You Up To Today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Bogs. After reading how you made the ends for the turbine it will help me for making a fixture that will be used to put a 4.5" bolt circle on a brake rotor. It will take a 4 hole bolt pattern to a 5 hole bolt pattern on a 4.5" bolt circle. I'll be sure to post pics when I get round to it.

Bernd

The gas engine shows are getting started around here (Ok.)so I have been busy dragging all the engines out and mounted them to the trailer. Took them to a little show in south western Ark. When I left another project engine jumped on the trailer and road home with me ( stover Ka 1922) I would rather build my engines but I Have rustitus and It does not help when your wife says I like that engine you should by it ;D Here is a video I took at the show.The A.C.E. was a big hit. Tom

Lovely display Tom,

I see you have got your Atkinson running as well. I bet it got some fascinating looks.

I'm sure Rick will love these.

John

dparker said:
The chuck is on the lathe now and looks fine (small, but fine) and it even has no runout on the body, all in all I am happy with the outcome and hope I have learned something I will not forget.
Laugh at me and point your fingers, I deserve it!
don

No laughing or finger pointing here. This is a good idea. I have a 3" chuck that I can't remember why I bought it and has gone pretty much unused. I'm thinking I'll do something similar.

Chuck

What did I do today, Worked OT, just like yesterday (Easter) and the 3 days before that and last week and the week before that. I'm so far behind in the shop wanna' do's work that I may never get ahead of it, It's nice to see that some people get to work in there shops. Working for a living sucks, I should have been born rich.

Let' see, I spent 3 hours in the shop making a crosshead for the steam engine I'm working on. I didn't like the finish I was getting, but it polished up OK. I tapped some 10-32 threads in it and screwed in the piston rod, then measured TIR of 0.011" :'(. Now my heart wasn't in it to finish it, but I pressed on (check the "scrap or not scrap" thread guys). So I milled two sides of it with a 1/2" end mill. About this time I realized I had forgotten to cross drill it for the con rod connecting pin. Then, and only then, did I check the plans and discovered I should have used a 5/8" end mill to cut the sides :'( . So today I made a fairly elegant piece of scrap :'( :'( :'(

Cheers,
Phil

I finally got back to my Open Column Twin today. I lapped the valves into the valve seats with valve grinding compound. Unfortunately, I still have some compression leaks, so I guess it needs some more lapping. Anybody made a 45 degree valve seat cutting tool?

Chuck

Philjoe5 said:
... So today I made a fairly elegant piece of scrap :'( :'( :'(

Cheers,
Phil

As much as it pains any of us to create scrap when we are trying for something else, say to yourself this... it is not scrap, it is machinist ART.

Eric

Chuck: Have you tried a 90* countersink with a pilot? It might work even without a pilot if you are doing the guide and seat in one setup.

Stan said:
Chuck: Have you tried a 90* countersink with a pilot? It might work even without a pilot if you are doing the guide and seat in one setup.

I think I probably need a cutter or stone that uses the valve guide for a pilot. I can't be sure that the valve guides pressed in at exactly 90 degrees although they are real darn close.

Chuck

I'd heard strange tales of a surface in the hinterland of chez moi, (I remember it being on the details from the estate agent) so I went prospecting, armed only with a broom and rubbish bag and most importantly resolve not to return to the safety of the kitchen without finding it. After a perilous adventure requiring much soul searching over what should be sonsigned to the rubbish bag and what should be returned to its natural habitat, I finally came to the conclusion of my quest.

I've struck floor and I'm rich, rich, rich I tell ya!

Image066.jpg

This story continues at the following post:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1627.0

Yesterday I sleeved the aluminum cylinders with brass on a very "bashed" version of the "siamese twin", today the valve pushrods will be made and then I will start on the flyweels, last week I made a proto-type/test flywheel, it was my first flywheel and it worked 8)
13AL

Well i added a new item to the work bench last night, a "it's scrap now" box, yep, screwed up a simple cam.
Lesson learned! but I am sure I will need a bigger box ;)
Tonight I need to drill the ports in the cylinders.

13AL

13AL,

Please not 'scrap box', but recycling area.
As you get further along, you will find that will be one of you most useful assets.
Having a rummage thru will get you out of a lot of little jams.
They aren't failures that are in there, just ones that are not quite right.
We all learn from our mistakes, and I am learning all the time.

John

You're absolutely right, John. Can't tell you how many botched pieces wind up as a good start for another project!

Chuck

Today I have to go give my brother some computer lessons. Its the least I can do for a guy who gave me 2 turkeys , 6 chickens and a whole beef in the last year or so.

Been searching the threads (successfully) for the instructions on dissolving a broken tap out of non ferrous metals.... as I have successfully broken a 2-56 in a piece of cast brass. :( Tomorrow I'll see how it works out.

Joe

DD that looks suspiciously like a bottle of Gordons in the background there?

Today I got to sit in my basement shop and "Talk Shop" with Brass_Machine (Eric)
for a couple hours. I even got a chance to show off a few of my toys.
My 1934 Maytag hit-n-miss engine started on the first kick. THAT impressed ME! :D
It was great to be able to put a face and true personality to a screen name.

Tonight he may be building a Voodoo doll of me to exact proper revenge for the
boxes containing a disassembled 1969 Vespa moped that he was willing to
haul away. It was another of my antique restoration projects that I just
didn't have time to continue.

Best of luck with that project Eric.
Your welcome back here anytime!

Rick

rake60 said:
Today I got to sit in my basement shop and "Talk Shop" with Brass_Machine (Eric)
for a couple hours. I even got a chance to show off a few of my toys.
My 1934 Maytag hit-n-miss engine started on the first kick. THAT impressed ME! :D
It was great to be able to put a face and true personality to a screen name.

Tonight he may be building a Voodoo doll of me to exact proper revenge for the
boxes containing a disassembled 1969 Vespa moped that he was willing to
haul away. It was another of my antique restoration projects that I just
didn't have time to continue. javascript:void(0);
Grin

Best of luck with that project Eric.
Your welcome back here anytime!

Rick

That was very fun, I had a great time. I only wish I had more time to hang out today than what I did. BTW, that Maytag rocked! Thank you Rick for letting me come out today... and be warned... I will be back! :big:

Eric

Latest posts

Back