Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aonemarine--I sent both sets of gears off to you this morning by Canada Post. You will have to get Jixerbills to him. How far away does he live from you? I just checked on Mapquest, and its 984 kilometers (thats about 615 miles) from Barrie to Wilmington. I love the old New England states. Maybe wife and I will come down your way this summer to check out your Webster.----Brian

Thanks Brian, no problem sending the gears from here. I plan on casting up a couple of flywheels for our engines, so Ill just mail them and the fly wheel together.
Bill, what kind of flywheel would you like to see on your engine?? Im going to be starting them next week...

I think making the crank three separate pieces brazed and pinned would make it very strong.
light press and pinned should work just as well?

curious to hear myself :)

aonemarine- Let me know when you will be casting the flywheels-I would like to check it out if possible.
cheepo45

No problem Cheepo... Ill ring you up once the pattern is finished and well figure out a time.

The crank is three pieces, light press fit and attempted to silver solder them together.. Did not turn out well so I cross drilled and roll pinned it. My piston is 7075 AL and I made the rings from cast iron and heat treated them..I went with .062 for the ring groove instead of the plans called for .094.. I still went with what the plans called for on depth of groove and rings are .050.. Bill

Some firsts for me today.. One I had never tapped 2-56 threads and two i had never used a spiral tap.. Went OK but was in aluminum.. I finished the valve block and installed the guides. I didn't put anything on top of block when i was pressing the guides in so there is a nice ring around the top of the block where the socket was that i used to go over the guide:wall::wall:.
I run the engine in a little with a drill and pulled the piston to see if the rings were seating. The top ring is good but the bottom ring has a spot about 1/4 inch wide thats not shinny yet.. I'll run it a little more tomorrow and finish seating them.. I also put a picture in here of making the valve blocks. I drilled all the center holes then used a 1/4 inch bolt and nut to sandwich them together. Drilled all the way thru (.750) with small diameter then went back with clearance bit down 1/2 inch. that leaves the bottom plate for threads.. I made a little video of engine while running but it was a little shaky.. The intake opens OK and when you push the exhaust or intake open by hand the engine speeds up and there is a noticeable difference in drill motor noise. So I think the valves are trying to work and I do have some compression..

SAM_0066.JPG

SAM_0068.JPG

SAM_0069.JPG

SAM_0071.JPG

Had to finish up another project the past couple of days. Finally got some me time in the shop today. I re did the crank bushings a few more times, my .3125" reamer loves to make the hole .317 every single time, so I got mad and just bored the things to .313" Im waiting on some 4140 stock to turn the crank out of and some drill rod, should arrive on monday. Decided to give the valve guids a go and eyed around the shop for some suitable material. Cut off a casting sprue from my last iron pour and started turning it down to size. Finished one and the other is 50%. Tomorrow is going to be pattern making day for the flywheel then will cast it up when cheepo45 and I can get together....
Heres a couple pics to please the forum gods...

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

A couple of small offerings I completed today.. I took the photo with my cell phone and it always turns them side ways ..sorry for that ! The ignition cam and the rocker arm...Bill

photo.jpg

Hey Guys----If you are looking for a source for the spring that sets under the rocker arm to keep it in contact with the cam, a spring out of the rewind mechanism on an old chainsaw or lawnmower works really good.

Well the past couple of days have gone to the dogs, Literally! My wife and I work with a couple of shetland sheep dog rescues and its been busy the past couple of days. Found and captured a sheltie that has been missing for 3 weeks, returned to her owner. And got two dogs adopted out after doing thier home inspections. Still many more need homes. Any way enough about that, I got home today to find some "Royal mail" and was happ to find it had some gears inside. Thanks again Brian, theyll work out just fine. So now im sitting here having a brain fart trying to figure out the spacing for the 6 spokes on the flywheel so I can finish the cad model...

Went to the shop for just a little bit this afternoon after painting the inside of the 4-wheeler trailer.. I racked my brain for a bit and came up with this to hold the cam gear.. Its an allen head bolt with the cam gear under it then a nut. Tightened the nut down to hold gear in place. Put bolt thru plate with a washer and a nylock nut to keep pressure on things.. Used an allen wrench to turn bolt/cam gear against end mill to get base circle of gear.. Worked out well..Sorry again for the sideways pic, stupid Smartphone..

photo.jpg

been away from pc for a while so had a lot of reading to catch up on
its all looking great people

Barrie to Wilmington. I love the old New England states. Maybe wife and I will come down your way this summer to check out your Webster.----Brian
Brian you make that trip let me know . I am not far from Wilmington I have several customers in that area. I just got my membership at the Hagley museum . a must see in Wilmington. If you are open to it we could do a museum tour and lunch as a group. there are several of us not far from Wilmington. http://www.roughandtumble.org/has blacksmith days June 7-8 and the big show the threshermens Reunion Aug 14-17.

And Brian while Delaware and New Jersey are included in the original 13 US colonies . Any newenglander including my wife will tell you Delaware is NOT in New England.
New England : An area on the northeastern coast of the US that consists of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.Sorry too disappoint you.

Hope I am not derailing this this thread. brian, aonemarine and anyone else near Wilmington DE feel free to PM me about the Idea.
Tin

Tin Falcon--I might just take you up on that. Wife wants to shop in Pennsylvania for a day, and after a winter stuck in the house I need warm sunny weather and a road trip.---Brian

Brian, dont know what your shopping for, but Delaware is a tax free state. The Mall is right up the street from my house, though usually I dont make it past the book store.... I find shopping more interesting at Harbor freight, and Woodcraft.

Rough and tumble is in Kinzers PA not far from Lancaster several outlet malls stausburgh Railroad and Pennsylvania RR museum Cornwell furnace......... a car museum ... Hopewell furnace NHS...

There is a flea market near the woodcraft sore in new castle DE and and a tire rack warehouse nearby with will call pickup if the buggy need a new set of shoes. There is also a flea market at the threshermens reunion.

If you do R & T and want to haul a few models with you we can hook you up as an exhibitor and get you a couple gate passes. But you will be expected to be at the display table showing off your creations. you can take breaks and see the museum and flea market, blacksmith shop etc.

Blacksmith days no model exhibits just a couple tool vendors and free admission to all and a slew of blacksmiths demonstrations.

And if you want a spring trip. the spring steam up @ R&T is May 10 &11 . SSU is a much smaller event than the august one but you can park near the gate it is quieter event but many of the engines are running and you can show your models if you wish but not nearly as many looker as the august show. The august show you need to park a mile away and ride a wagon to the gate unless you have a special parking pass.
Tin

Latest posts

Back