Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the math involved each time I go to cut a gear. There is a calculation to establish what the diameter of the gear blank has to be. The actual depth of cut is always .09" for my 24DP cutters. I have a chart to select which gear cutter to use for a specific number of teeth. There are 8 different gear cutters and each one cuts a certain range of teeth. I have another chart that tells me how many full turns or part turns I have to make with the rotary table crank, and which divider plate to use to accomplish this to get the correct angular spacing between the gear teeth. People have asked how I hold the gears so that they don't rotate on the arbor while I am cutting the teeth. If I'm not in a hurry I use my secret weapon, #638 Loctite. Trouble is you have to wait overnight for it to cure. It doesn't need heat to release it, so the arbor can just be tapped out of the gears with a brass punch when the gear cutting is done. If I am in a hurry, I use a set screw in the gears hub to lock it to the shaft, or drill a cross hole thru both gear hub and arbor (arbor is just a piece of cold rolled steel shaft).
WEBSTERGEARMATH001_zpscc65e8a6.jpg

Brian, your not wasting any time thats for sure!

I finished boring out the cylinder to just a little under .001" and then finish honed it. The bore came out very well and is straight and true to with in .0002" I left the bore with a little tooth to help seat the iron rings. I feel pretty good about it (happy dance)
Still a little work to do outside the cylinder, need to take the diameter down on the cooling fins as I turned them to 1.625" and they should be 1.5" so back down to the basement I go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFMp8gcKZg8&feature=youtu.be
[ame]http://youtu.be/rFMp8gcKZg8[/ame]

Ok im done for the day, finished the cylinder all up Looks good to me!
One more pic showing the honed finish.....

webster 6 002.jpg

Aonemarine. The gears are finished. One set for you and one set for Jixerbill. I have assembled them on shafts mounted on 1.128" centers, and they mesh just fine. I have tried both sets. Send me your mailing address and I'll ship them out tomorrow. I feel good that I have been able to repay the favours that other guys on these forums have done for me.---Brian
WEBSTERGEARSFINISHED001_zpsd3911dd8.jpg

Dang!! That was fast!!! Would have taken me a couple of days.....Hmm maybe I will be running in time for the cabin fever expo....NAH still alot of work to do... Thank you very much Brian!!

I just love all the really weird math associated with cutting gears. The first few times I did it, I thought my head would explode, trying to understand the relationships between number of degrees in a circle, number of teeth in the gear, number of degrees the rotary table turns for each revolution of the handle, what to do with all of the different holes in the divider plates, and on and on. Every time I cut a gear its a big surprise. You do all the calculations, make the gear blank according to what the specs call up for a given pitch diameter and start cutting. You never really know untill you have cut every tooth whether you calculated it right or not. When you've gone all the way around, cutting one tooth at a time, you hold your breath----Full Suspense----Will the cutter cut air when you've gone all the way around, or will it begin chomping away on one of the teeth you have already cut!!! If it cuts air, you're golden!!! If it starts chomping away on a previously cut tooth----Damn---You've figured something out wrong. time to start all over again.

Reactions: gus
Math has never been one of my fine points, If I knew now what I would be doing I would have paid more attention in school. I have a really good book on gear cutting that makes my head spin. I really need to sit down and try my hand at it but only have some 12 DP cutters at this time so I am overly thankful that you took this on for me. I still have much to learn, 21 years ago I thought I knew it all......

Wow Brian ! Thank you so much. That was fast. Im not real strong on gears and i have no cutters.. I just dont understand all the terminology that goes with them.. Thanks again..Bill

Looking good Aonemarine !! Im still undecided on weather or not to crosshatch my cylinder or not.. I might use the hone with very light pressure on the spring to give it just a little crosshatch... Yours turned out great.. I got a little done today im going to post pics later ..Bill

Hatch = iron ring, Lapped & polished = O ring.... Just a personal opinion... Main thing is bore is straight and true before either...

Back in the day when I raced karts, i would bore the cylinder then hone to .001 larger than piston diameter with an adjustable hone that actually locked the stones into position.Then lapped the cyl to remove all hone marks. Then I ran a regular hone with medium stones on it in a handheld drill on slow to put a nice set of crosshatch in it..Just one stroke up and down with the hone one time.. Those motors were getting tore down almost every weekend because they thought i was cheating !!! I was but they were looking in the wrong place lol... I got the tear down money everytime !! Anyway even after just a few hot laps and heat and feature race when the motor was inspected the rings were shiney (seated) all the way around and the crosshatch was all but gone.. It worked back then so I guess i need to use same process now also..Bill

When I was building engines, I would finish the bore with 220 stones (light pressure) for iron rings, but then for chrome moly rings... Torque plate, 220 then 400 then 600 poilshed to near mirror surface. I strived for zero, but was very happy with .0001" and not so happy with /.0002" I all ways honed the percision jobs by hand so I could feel what was going on.
ever canteen a bore?? I used to build JR dragster motors... 32 HP out of a 5 hp block. Man they can break **** you never saw coming!!

Got the crank done and a couple oilers, line bored the crank bushings and made a shaft for the cam to ride on.. Oh yeah and Autozone had the sparkplug.. I would like to get the con rod done this weekend and the piston.. Im back to work on Monday so progress will slow way down..

SAM_0063.JPG

[quoteI used to build JR dragster motors... 32 HP out of a 5 hp block. Man they can break **** you never saw coming!! ][/quote]

It's funny you mention these we were building them here in Canada at Steeve Payne shop and then dyno test at Jaws performance with Graig

I never raced any karts that required a stud girdle or head girdle..I raced mostly box stock was getting 8 or 9 hp out of them iirc.. .. What was funny i thought was that a stock 5 hp briggs was rated at 3250 rpm i think it was, we was twisting them to 5500 to 6000 lol Those boys running the open class was getting the 3x hp out of them and twisting them up like they stoled them lmao... JR dragsters were just getting started good when i quit drag racing motorcycles a few years ago.. If it has an engine and 2 or 4 wheels on it my family has raced it at one time or another lol...I would have a sbc dragster right now if it wouldnt cost me another divorce..

[quoteI used to build JR dragster motors... 32 HP out of a 5 hp block. Man they can break **** you never saw coming!! ]

It's funny you mention these we were building them here in Canada at Steeve Payne shop and then dyno test at Jaws performance with Graig[/QUOTE]

OH yea Lots of fun!!! Wait til one splits the block apart on the dyno!! Ive had over 30 distroy them selves by splitting the block near the base mounting block and a few have chucked the cams.. the stock blocks are just too weak!

It's funny you mention these we were building them here in Canada at Steeve Payne shop and then dyno test at Jaws performance with Graig

OH yea Lots of fun!!! Wait til one splits the block apart on the dyno!! Ive had over 30 distroy them selves by splitting the block near the base mounting block and a few have chucked the cams.. the stock blocks are just too weak![/QUOTE]
Been their Done that and Bauth the T shirt :D
but for the last 10 years or so Steeve is the sol reatailer of the GODZILLA
block fror Briggs and JR dragter

Bill, Couple of questions....What material did you make your piston out of, and is you crank soldered up or turned from one piece?

Latest posts

Back