tufnol

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krv3000

Reaction score
HI I have a large sheet of wot I believe to be known as tufnol ? its brawn in color
and seems to be made up of laminated fabric wot is this stuf yous for

Tufnol is a company name. They produce many different types of phenolic based composite materials.

http://www.tufnol.co.uk/tufnol/default.asp

What you have is probably one of the fabric based laminates. They make a lot of different kinds for both electrical components and mechanical components. One big use for mechanical components is silent running gears.

Wear a mask if machining it. The dust is well known for irritating the breathing passages and lungs.

Gail in NM

I'm not familiar with the name tufnol, but it sounds like it may be a linen phenolic which can be used as a thermal insulator, and in some forms I have even seen gears cut from it in cases where you want the gear to be the weak link and to break before damaging more exoensive parts of the gear train. It can be machined but is a bit messy to fool with and machines best with very sharp tools due to the linen or other fabric content.

Bill

The description sounds like something I've used before. Garolite

I used to work in the electrical contacts industry and we used Tufnol as bases for sets of contacts,and I have seen it used for gears as Bill says,Raglan make their tumbler gears from it.Paxolin is a denser material whereas Tufnol is fabric based.
Don

Paxolin is fabric and phenolic based as well

From the link I posted

Paxolin Details

Synthetic resin bonded paper and cotton fabric laminates offer a range of electrical and mechanical properties. Non standard combinations and colours are available to meet specific customer specifications.

FR2 Flame retardant electrical laminate, can be punched, meets NEMA FR-2 and XXXPC.
G General purpose paper phenolic laminate meets P1 and NEMA X.
No. 1 Medium weave cotton fabric laminate, general purpose, low voltage applications meets BS 2572 F2 and NEMA Grade C.
No. 5 Fine weave cotton fabric laminate, very good machining, meets BS 2572, F1 and NEMA Grade L.
P Medium grade electrical laminate meets BS2572 P2 and NEMA XX.
T High Grade electrical meets BS2572 P3 and NEMA XXX.

Hi thanks for all the info the size of the sheet i have is 3ft by 2ft by 1 1/4 " thick

OOOOO any wont to by it for that I can get a mill ;D

It is a reinforced phenolic material.

It is nasty stuff to machine.
It cuts like chalk, but the dust produced should not be inhaled. It does not break down so
whatever you take in is yours for life. A dust mask is mandatory, and a vacuum nozzle at the
cutting point leading to a ShopVac with a HEPA filter installed would be a great idea!

When we machined it at work we were required to wear dust masks and have the dust collector
attached to the tool head of the machine. The clean up guys were not allowed to use air nozzles
or compressed air to clean the machine. They had to sweep it out by hand.

Rick

rake60 said:
The clean up guys were not allowed to use air nozzles
or compressed air to clean the machine. They had to sweep it out by hand.

A clean up guy? I gotta get me one of them........

Rof} th_wav

'ow much does it pay?

LOL

It was a minimum wage job occupied by young men who hoped to
move on to become machinists.

Some did!

Some were never able to advance beyond the concept of a simple lever that
involved a cylindrical handle at the operators end and fuzzy bristles at the working end.

Those were more often than not the hardest working guys in the shop!

Rick

rake60 said:
Some were never able to advance beyond the concept of a simple lever that
involved a cylindrical handle at the operators end and fuzzy bristles at the working end.

Those were more often than not the hardest working guys in the shop!

Rick

In Oz they are known as Death Adders because no-one wants to pick one up. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back