Slow runner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
What does it take, design wise, to make a steam engine run slow? i think they are neater to look at than something racing so fast you can't see its parts. No real reason here. I was just wondering:eek:)

thanks, Wes

Most of Elmer's designs that use a double acting cylinder can be made to
run slow. Close attention to the packing and packing nuts to reduce pressure
loss is the main thing I've found.

I'm pretty sure I'd posted the video of my version of Elmer's Mine Engine
running on 5PSI before, but here it is again:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPS66mIHwA[/ame]

I like to see them running slow too!

Rick

good fit and finish and a large fly wheel or in engineering term high moment of inertia. and yes multiple cylinders and double acting help.
Tin

I would think: large bore, long stroke, large or heavy flywheel, double acting or multi-cylinder, close tolerances on valving and piston, free running bearings.

I like them to run slow also. I want to see all the parts moving and working, the slower the better since I don't think to fast! ;D

Any air/steam leakage any where will reduce low speed performance. Put gaskets on steam chest covers, between steam chest and cylinder and cylinder covers. As mentioned, a good piston/cylinder fit and gas tight seals on the valve stem and piston rod.

Put your throttle valve as near to the air/steam inlet to the steam chest as possible. If running on air with a regulator, use a large diameter hose from the regulator to a needle or ball valve near the steam chest. The larger hose will provide a reserve of higher pressure air to supply the throttle valve with. Set the regulator pressure at least twice as high as necessary to run the engine with the throttle valve wide open.

Looking at Rick's video, note the regulating valve near the steam chest with the regulator back a ways with a large diameter hose.

We all talk about how low a pressure an engine will run on, but this is not the way to get the lowest speed.

If you look at steam locomotive plumbing you will often find the throttle valve in the front of the locomotive boiler in the smoke box near the cylinders and operated by a long rod from the engineers control. Sometimes theis rod runs through the boiler. This also kept the steam hot from the throttle valve to the cylinders.

Gail in NM,USA

...or you could cheat and film them in slo-mo ;) ;D ;D

Seriously, the slow motion where you can see everything working is very cool. Bummer about it not scaling well.

Latest posts

Back