Shows keep getting smaller!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I am the odd man out in that the cost of things is a major factor in what I do or don't do. I have to control my expenses and the cost of travel, entrance fees and lodging are significant. I am delighted that some are wealthy enough that these aspects don't even enter your mind. Must be that I am part of the wrong club and should see myself to the door as I don't have the wealth enough to be involved here. And thank you for letting me know that because my priorities don't come up to your high standards that I am very wrong and the real problem with why these events are struggling.

I have always look at it this way

If I can buy some metal from one of the traders at the show then the saving on postage will cover the entrance fee.

If I do the same a few more times with other purchases and maybe get a bit of discount for cash then that will cover my fuel bill, at least for the more local shows.

Just doing that for a one day visit has only cost me my time.

I guess I am the odd man out in that the cost of things is a major factor in what I do or don't do. I have to control my expenses and the cost of travel, entrance fees and lodging are significant. I am delighted that some are wealthy enough that these aspects don't even enter your mind. Must be that I am part of the wrong club and should see myself to the door as I don't have the wealth enough to be involved here. And thank you for letting me know that because my priorities don't come up to your high standards that I am very wrong and the real problem with why these events are struggling.
Well, I am in the same boat (welcome to the club).
It is not a matter of me spending on shows instead of golf or other hobbies.
I don't have other hobbies, and I still don't have money for attending shows.
Prices have gone up to the point that for me, I feel lucky to be able to pay bills, much less travel.
Such as it is.
Money is a minor problem in this city; we also have out of control crime, as if the money problem was not bad enough.

I am still holding out for some sort of virtual engine show, set up like some sort of zoom meeting.
Live streaming is pretty cool.
Who knows how to set this up?
At this point I think I would rather invest in a server than a show, just due to the cost of traveling these days.

Last edited:
This thread is just a conversation about the current situation of model engineering shows. There is no attempt to belittle anyone for not being able to afford going to a show. There is no reason for sarcasm. I don't attend the Cabin Fever show because I can't afford it. At least one or two days off work. Fuel for the 600 mile round trip. Turnpike tolls. Lodging for at least two nights. Food while attending the show. Without adding it up its in the neighborhood of $600 not counting time from work so your situation is completely understandable..
Green Twin, there is a forum named The Office of Steam for Toy and Model Steam and Gas Engines. The have done several virtual engine shows on the forum. It might be something to consider for everyones interest.

Latest posts

Back