Sandblaster!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
All of my life I have wanted a sand blasting cabinet. Having one would have served me well all the years I was building hot-rods, and during my last 15 years of building model engines. I do have a one quart sandblasting gun, and I have used it outside on top of a big blue tarp that I have. It worked very well for what I was doing, but it was very messy and I ended up with as much sand on me and in my hair as I did on the parts I was blasting. I've been sick this past week, and spent much of my time surfing the internet, looking at "stuff". There are any number of home made sand blast cabinets on the internet, but I found the one in the attached link to be just about the right size for the sort of things I do now. The guy has a bit of a weird accent, but the sandblaster and cabinet are just about the right size for the things I now get involved with. There is no welding involved, and all of the components are relatively inexpensive.----Brian

All of my life I have wanted a sand blasting cabinet. Having one would have served me well all the years I was building hot-rods, and during my last 15 years of building model engines. I do have a one quart sandblasting gun, and I have used it outside on top of a big blue tarp that I have. It worked very well for what I was doing, but it was very messy and I ended up with as much sand on me and in my hair as I did on the parts I was blasting. I've been sick this past week, and spent much of my time surfing the internet, looking at "stuff". There are any number of home made sand blast cabinets on the internet, but I found the one in the attached link to be just about the right size for the sort of things I do now. The guy has a bit of a weird accent, but the sandblaster and cabinet are just about the right size for the things I now get involved with. There is no welding involved, and all of the components are relatively inexpensive.----Brian

Somewhere I have a mini sandblasting “air brush” set (I buy things, it’s an addiction). Since it’s mini, can use with a minimum of cabinet.

Last edited:
I had a lot of problems with condensate jamming my sandblasting nozzle.
I think you are running one or more water separators, so that is good.

I use the same box for a paint booth. Use the longest gloves you can find. Plenty on amazon or ebay.

Two weeks ago I bought a sandblasting cabinet plus hoses from an add in marketplace. I bought it based on an add and a photograph from a city about 200 miles away for $60. I called the man and he said that he had to come to Barrie today on other business. He just arrived with the sandblaster and it is the perfect size for me. It has the sandblasting nozzle and hose, and a pair of gloves that will need replacing. It needs a bit of tidying up, otherwise it looks to be in good shape.
3YAJ57.jpg

CzbYAh.jpg

does the window just glue or stick on the outside? or is it like a garage door window that has a rubber gasket that you have to finagle to get a replacement glass back in? for 60.00 though i think you done great

It has a rubber gasket that you have to finagle into place. The gasket is there with it but I think I will have to buy a new one, as the old gasket is trashed.

Ooooh, definitely let me know how you get on.

I actually have one similar in my storage lockup. Its a Guyson setup, with filter unit too. All 3phase. I have no 3ph, so it's just sat waiting until I pluck up the courage to make a start on it!!

Two weeks ago I bought a sandblasting cabinet plus hoses from an add in marketplace. I bought it based on an add and a photograph from a city about 200 miles away for $60. I called the man and he said that he had to come to Barrie today on other business. He just arrived with the sandblaster and it is the perfect size for me. It has the sandblasting nozzle and hose, and a pair of gloves that will need replacing. It needs a bit of tidying up, otherwise it looks to be in good shape.
3YAJ57.jpg

CzbYAh.jpg
Great buy!! On some of the blasters, you can buy a clear sticky piece of whatever it is and it sticks to the inside of the "glass". When it gets hard to see through, you just peel it off and put on a new clear piece.

The view window on the one I bought is pretty opaque from years of use, and it is made from clear acrilique material. I worked all day today on a proper stand for this one, and it won't be finished until tomorrow.

I have found that this blast cabinet originally came from Harbour Freight in USA and was SKU 45411. It appears that I can still buy replacement parts from them if I have to.

Brian
It's worth looking at some of the YouTube videos about the modifications needed to make this Harbour Freight sand blaster work. The original system of air/media management just doesn't work and all cabinets of this type seem to suffer from the same problem of low/bad/intermediate media flow. There are replacement media flow parts available. I made my modifications from iron gas pipe fittings. The media I use is ground glass - cheap and the available. Please don't use sand - its a health hazard. I also use a small vacuum cleaner to extract the "dust" which will obscure vision. I save the vac cleaner from becoming full by using a cyclonic separator. Because the air/media flow is good I don't have any problems with air moisture but that could be different in high humidify states.
Hope this helps
Mike

I purchased some ground corn cob, but did not know how to solve my moisture problems, and so never got it to work as a sand blasting media.
Supposedly it works well, per some of the antique restoration TV shows.
Very sensitive to moisture in the compressed air.
And to add insult to injury, and BIG racoon got into my shed, and ate into the side of the sealed 5 gallon containers that held the corn cob.
What a mess.

I worked all day, and my body is telling me about it---But---I have a welded frame under the sandblaster. I collect bedframe angles. One thing about driving a half ton, you can stop and pick these things up that people have put out for garbage collection. God, I love these things. The welded frame is custom built to my height, and tomorrow I will make up some stand-offs so I can bolt the frame to my basement wall---Fortunately the basement is studded and drywalled, so I don't have to set the anchors in concrete. I think that I have ran out of available wall space, but I can't think of any more machinery that I will have to make room for.
9tN3YC.jpg

I worked all day, and my body is telling me about it---But---I have a welded frame under the sandblaster. I collect bedframe angles. One thing about driving a half ton, you can stop and pick these things up that people have put out for garbage collection. God, I love these things. The welded frame is custom built to my height, and tomorrow I will make up some stand-offs so I can bolt the frame to my basement wall---Fortunately the basement is studded and drywalled, so I don't have to set the anchors in concrete. I think that I have ran out of available wall space, but I can't think of any more machinery that I will have to make room for.
9tN3YC.jpg
And how many times have you, and most of the rest of us said that we have all of the machines that we need. Just in the last several weeks you have purchased a powder coating system, a toaster oven and a sand blast cabinet. :)

We learn to live with less, from the beginning. That's why astonishing paper models exist!
But there should be no shame to take what you think it helps you and is affordable.
If Brian is like me, I am sure he envied the silky-uniform appearance of glass bead blasting.

I have a sandblaster box.
As I mentioned, I had problems with water clogging the sandblasting gun, and I also had problems with the window clouding up, or getting sandblasted to the point where I could no longer see through it.
Is there a solution to the window problem ?

I just purchased a sandbaster from Harbor Freight to match my air compressor. I built a real nice cabinet use a shop van for dust collection. It to big when downsized.
I was planning on just getting a clear storage box fof cabinet.

Today I use regular sandblasting sand from Home Depot and go in yard for sandblasting. Then just let sand add to garden and wind blow the dust away. Size of project is no problem.

Use leather hood for welding and leather welding jacket with welding gloves.

If did a lot sandblasting I use a clear storage box and shop vac.

Dave

Latest posts

Back