Oilite bearing sizes for Myford ML7

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegan

Reaction score
Hallo everyone

I have an ML7. I want to replace the Oilite bearings.

On the Myford website and diagrams online I find info such as CT14x1.1/4" or CT15 X 1/4". What does that mean? Surely I need an inside and an outside diameter?

Also,being in South Africa, I might not get Oilite but some other sintered brass bushes. So If I can get the sizes then I can surely find a supplier. I must be sure that what I order is the right thing.

If I sound like a novice it's because I am :)

My Myford is a 1949 model ML7. It's been around the block a few times.

Many thanks for any assistance.

If you have the manual and parts diagram, please give a better reference to the part. In particular, the manual will have a drawing number, item number and part number associated with the piece you want. A page number from the manual would also help. A lathe is a large item. Even a rough idea of the part's location would help.

Otherwise, I have to read the manual from cover to cover twice over just to attempt (and possibly fail) to locate the parts of which you speak.

The bushes will be sintered bronze, not brass.

If you have the machine, measure the items you need. One of the three measurements you take will correspond with the number you quote above.

The CT is likely the reference the bush supplier used in 1949 when Myford bought the items in from them. The connection between that number and three measurements is likely lost to history.

Kegan has given us all the bearing designation information that there is in the manual. The designation does not find anything useful for me on Google.

Looks like you want the ones in the apron for the saddle traverse.

As djc says, if you can measure the ID, OD and length, you should be able to find a matching item.

You could try taking the apron with you on a trip round the bearing suppliers in Kimberley.

Are you sure the are oilite and not just bronze bushings?I would suspect that they are plain bronze bushings.

Which bushes specifically are you talking about?
My manual from that same period has no numbering such as you refer to.
The main spindle bushes are a "split bush" and mostly just need re-shimming to spec.

EDIT: Did find the numbers you refer to but be aware they are for model serial before No.K111727.
CT4 73074 (SC257)
CT5 73001 (SC256)

You could use bronze but they say oilite so bronze would be ok so long as you keep oil up to them.
No size shown other than the 1.25" and 1/4" which I assume to be length.

Last edited:
Go to Myfords website and search Oilite bushes all the dims are there and all bog standard items

Latest posts

Back