New to me.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melw44

Reaction score
I lurk a lot and enjoy looking at the projects.
I took possession of a new to me lathe yesterday.
Getting it off the truck was a fun evolution. I had to make a temporary gantry to lower it to the ground.
It came with a multitude of accessories. 4 and 3 jaw chucks as well as steady rest and a collet setup.
Not to mention the book how to run a lathe. The book looks to be the same vintage as the lathe.
Needs some cleaning and small repairs.
The gear cover mount pin is loose and the motor makes a kind of ticking noise in forward rotation.
Might be the start mechanism.
Here is the pic!
1000003629.jpg

South Bend 9 A with a long bed. I have the same one. It does everything I need and want. Enjoy.
Did you get the thread dial? If not there should be a seller on eBay peddling 3d printed ones that look pretty good

I starting using a Southbend in 1975 that looked a lot like that one.
I recall my dad added a foot pedal below, to elevate the motor, so the belt could be slid to another pulley.

Very nice lathe !

South Bend 9 A with a long bed. I have the same one. It does everything I need and want. Enjoy.
Did you get the thread dial? If not there should be a seller on eBay peddling 3d printed ones that look pretty good
Did not notice one. Have two box's of extras to go through.

I had a 1918 model. It was beat to hell but I did a lot of work with it. Had to have the split nut replaced. Phoned SB and they still had the records of whom bought the lathe from them. Unfortunately, no parts for it (surprize, surprize).

I had a 1918 model. It was beat to hell but I did a lot of work with it. Had to have the split nut replaced. Phoned SB and they still had the records of whom bought the lathe from them. Unfortunately, no parts for it (surprize, surprize).
I was on the web page and read about that service. You have to go through Grizzly tools for the scan of the info card. There is a charge of $25.00 for the service. Not too bad for having to pull the card by hand. From the S.N. it looks like mine was made in the late 1940's just befor they changed how they did serial numbers.

What's up with the chain? Also, is it an optical illusion, or is the leadscrew bent underneath the chain? Anyway, I learned on that same long-bed model, with all kinds of misadventures. Good experienced gained from bad experience, shall we say!

What's up with the chain? Also, is it an optical illusion, or is the leadscrew bent underneath the chain? Anyway, I learned on that same long-bed model, with all kinds of misadventures. Good experienced gained from bad experience, shall we say!
The chain was used to hoist it off the truck. I have removed it now and the leed screw is fine. Must just be my phone camera.
Had a job to do for my dad so have not had much time to look at it. Will need to address the cover for the change gear. The hinge pin is wobbly and let's the cover hit the gears. The threaded rod that pivots the flat belt pulleys must have got hit in the move. It broke off where it screws in to the turnbuckle. Looks easy to make. 3/8 rod with a 90 on one and thread on the other.

Getting it off the truck was a fun evolution. I had to make a temporary gantry to lower it to the ground.
It came with a multitude of accessories. 4 and 3 jaw chucks as well as steady rest and a collet setup.
Not to mention the book how to run a lathe. The book looks to be the same vintage as the lathe.
The gear cover mount pin is loose and the motor makes a kind of ticking noise in forward rotation.
Here is the pic!
View attachment 157729

I've always loved vintage lathes .
Hundreds of projects can be done with this lathe !

I had a chance to go by Tractor supply today. The broken part is from the flat belt tensioner in the headstock. It must have been broken in the move.
I bought two of the long bolts so I would have a spare. I know if I just had one I would mess it up. 😁
I might have to us a die to cut the threads longer. I will see after I get it bent.
Mel

1000003674.jpg

I had a chance to go by Tractor supply today. The broken part is from the flat belt tensioner in the headstock. It must have been broken in the move.
I bought two of the long bolts so I would have a spare. I know if I just had one I would mess it up. 😁
I might have to us a die to cut the threads longer. I will see after I get it bent.
Mel

View attachment 157864
You probably won't be able to cut more threads with a die. There is a substantial difference in the bolt diameter beyond the threads that are already there and a die will not be able to cut threads into this larger diameter.

Go to a hardware store and see if you can get concrete anchor bolts that size. They will already have the bend on them and likely will be able to be threaded farther with a die. They look like this.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-l-...W-fKTi1Ry2faBZjIZW8aAviQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is the pic!
View attachment 157729
Nice toy my lathe is a c model (no gearbox) I recently changed the flat drive belt to a automotive serpentine multi groove belt. What a difference.

You probably won't be able to cut more threads with a die. There is a substantial difference in the bolt diameter beyond the threads that are already there and a die will not be able to cut threads into this larger diameter.

Go to a hardware store and see if you can get concrete anchor bolts that size. They will already have the bend on them and likely will be able to be threaded farther with a die. They look like this.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-l-hook-38-16-6-l-carbon-steel-hot-dipped-galvanized-45112/i/G4455647/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&campaignid=17863415718&productid=G4455647&v=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZO0BhDYARIsAFttkChrPjjLLOYwFohUt9-7AhED93F0zfZk10WOW-fKTi1Ry2faBZjIZW8aAviQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the bolts I bought and had the same thought about useing a die. Did not think about the concrete anchor.
I don't have much experience with them. If the bolt doesn't work out I will give them a try.
Mel

Hi Mel
If you know the adjustment was close to the end of the threads before, you could always make the bend closer to the end of the threaded end. This would have the same effect as tightening it up more. And it would make the nut or whatever it threads into closer to the start end of the threads. Giving you more adjustment room without altering the existing threads.
If that didn't make sense, just make the long leg of the "L" shorter.

Scott

Hi Mel
If you know the adjustment was close to the end of the threads before, you could always make the bend closer to the end of the threaded end. This would have the same effect as tightening it up more. And it would make the nut or whatever it threads into closer to the start end of the threads. Giving you more adjustment room without altering the existing threads.
If that didn't make sense, just make the long leg of the "L" shorter.

Scott
Thanks! I think there is plenty of adjustment in the linkage.
Mel

Might I ask if your lathe has an 80 tooth idler in the gear train - and if so, what the diameter is of the boss on it? I have made some 63 tooth gears to fit on said boss, on the idler used with similar Boxford lathes. 80/63 is very close to 127/100 - out by 1.5 thou in the foot - for cutting metric threads on an 8tpi leadscrew. I sell things online to raise money for Christian Aid, and it would be useful to know if I could market these to SB owners as well.

BTW - sorry if this is something you have eliminated already, but the clicking noise you mention might just be the flat belt wire lacing going over the pulleys.
Thanks
Mark

Might I ask if your lathe has an 80 tooth idler in the gear train - and if so, what the diameter is of the boss on it? I have made some 63 tooth gears to fit on said boss, on the idler used with similar Boxford lathes. 80/63 is very close to 127/100 - out by 1.5 thou in the foot - for cutting metric threads on an 8tpi leadscrew. I sell things online to raise money for Christian Aid, and it would be useful to know if I could market these to SB owners as well.

BTW - sorry if this is something you have eliminated already, but the clicking noise you mention might just be the flat belt wire lacing going over the pulleys.
Thanks
Mark
Would have to check the gear. As for the clicking it happens with just the motor. The drive is not connected to the headstock.
Thanks

Would have to check the gear. As for the clicking it happens with just the motor. The drive is not connected to the headstock.
Thanks
I had the same clicking noise on my 9”SB. The hinge pin on the gear cover is worn or loose and the weight of the cover lets it sag on to the gears, no a big problem, just put a block of wood under the cover to hold it up.
You were lucky you only broke the right hand thread rod. I would suggest getting a piece of all thread rod, cut to length and hot bend a 90.

Latest posts

Back