New to me.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melw44

Reaction score
I lurk a lot and enjoy looking at the projects.
I took possession of a new to me lathe yesterday.
Getting it off the truck was a fun evolution. I had to make a temporary gantry to lower it to the ground.
It came with a multitude of accessories. 4 and 3 jaw chucks as well as steady rest and a collet setup.
Not to mention the book how to run a lathe. The book looks to be the same vintage as the lathe.
Needs some cleaning and small repairs.
The gear cover mount pin is loose and the motor makes a kind of ticking noise in forward rotation.
Might be the start mechanism.
Here is the pic!
1000003629.jpg

South Bend 9 A with a long bed. I have the same one. It does everything I need and want. Enjoy.
Did you get the thread dial? If not there should be a seller on eBay peddling 3d printed ones that look pretty good

I starting using a Southbend in 1975 that looked a lot like that one.
I recall my dad added a foot pedal below, to elevate the motor, so the belt could be slid to another pulley.

Very nice lathe !

South Bend 9 A with a long bed. I have the same one. It does everything I need and want. Enjoy.
Did you get the thread dial? If not there should be a seller on eBay peddling 3d printed ones that look pretty good
Did not notice one. Have two box's of extras to go through.

I had a 1918 model. It was beat to hell but I did a lot of work with it. Had to have the split nut replaced. Phoned SB and they still had the records of whom bought the lathe from them. Unfortunately, no parts for it (surprize, surprize).
I was on the web page and read about that service. You have to go through Grizzly tools for the scan of the info card. There is a charge of $25.00 for the service. Not too bad for having to pull the card by hand. From the S.N. it looks like mine was made in the late 1940's just befor they changed how they did serial numbers.

What's up with the chain? Also, is it an optical illusion, or is the leadscrew bent underneath the chain? Anyway, I learned on that same long-bed model, with all kinds of misadventures. Good experienced gained from bad experience, shall we say!

What's up with the chain? Also, is it an optical illusion, or is the leadscrew bent underneath the chain? Anyway, I learned on that same long-bed model, with all kinds of misadventures. Good experienced gained from bad experience, shall we say!
The chain was used to hoist it off the truck. I have removed it now and the leed screw is fine. Must just be my phone camera.
Had a job to do for my dad so have not had much time to look at it. Will need to address the cover for the change gear. The hinge pin is wobbly and let's the cover hit the gears. The threaded rod that pivots the flat belt pulleys must have got hit in the move. It broke off where it screws in to the turnbuckle. Looks easy to make. 3/8 rod with a 90 on one and thread on the other.

I lurk a lot and enjoy looking at the projects.
I took possession of a new to me lathe yesterday.
Getting it off the truck was a fun evolution. I had to make a temporary gantry to lower it to the ground.
It came with a multitude of accessories. 4 and 3 jaw chucks as well as steady rest and a collet setup.
Not to mention the book how to run a lathe. The book looks to be the same vintage as the lathe.
Needs some cleaning and small repairs.
The gear cover mount pin is loose and the motor makes a kind of ticking noise in forward rotation.
Might be the start mechanism.
Here is the pic!
View attachment 157729

I've always loved vintage lathes .
Hundreds of projects can be done with this lathe !

Latest posts

Back