Need help with making lathe tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by your pictures there's no real rule on how to make these things, you just make them to suit the job?

You got it spot-on. It depends on all the same factors as for external tools; What do you need it to do; what material are you trying to machine etc. etc. Rigidity plays a much bigger role with boring bars as well; one needs to keep them as short and thick as possible for a given job.

Regards, Arnold

And how about a parting tool....

You made any of them?

I prefer the commercial T style cut off tools but have ground tools for small to tiny grooves.
Tin

;) I have a small lelection of home-made parting tools - no commercial ones

normal_IMG_1576.JPG

The blade on the far left is HSS from a wood planing machine; the parting tool on the far right is a bit of this blade that I cut off and ground into my everyday-use parting tool (it's mounted on the rear toolpost). With this one, I can easily part of through a piece of 60mm ali bar. Have only tried it on 32mm steel so far but I think it will do bigger. The parting tool second from left is a ground down bi-metal steel cutting jig saw blade; I use it for parting of small bits; predominantly 2mm brass nuts that I seem to be making a lot of... The third parting tool is the oldest one in my collection and served on the front toolpost for a year or so. You'll see that it has a generous chip breaker ground in; that works well for parting of aluminium. The "curve" on its bottom is from a dig-in at one point; it broke off in that curve shape ::)

Regards, Arnold

Back